Awful, useless, and pointless premiums

Darlith

Knocking off snowflakes has reminded me of how many premiums I have collected most of them non-cash. Many of them are fun to play like Okhotnik or provide something different than their tech tree variants like Boise and Mainz. Others however are just plain awful like Bearn, or pointless like Gorizia.

This lead me to thinking, what are your worst, most pointless premiums.

For me the top is the aforementioned Gorizia, it feels like it is worse than the tech tree Zara in every way that matters. At least some other premiums similar to their tech tree counterparts gain something from tradeoffs like Salem or are similar enough to be worthwhile just for the bonuses like De Grasse. This one though I cannot figure a reason to use it over the Zara. 

Other honorable mentions include. The Bearn, I do operations and co-op mainly, carriers are limited usefulness to begin with and this is a distant cousin to any other I have. Marblehead, because I prefer the Omaha, but it isn't and awful choice just like more torps. And of course anything under t5 because as fun as some might be, they don't let me advance missions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I got a Hornet from my first twitch mystery drop and I only tried a cv once on pts and disliked it tremendously. But I did get my snowflake it in to-day.

Of the premiums I have, California comes first to mind. Slow, fat, bad guns, eats all the damage that existed since dawn of time

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Darlith said:

Others however are just plain awful like Bearn,

image.png.25ceb66a4082ce971473a2a34339fb07.png

... that's heresy enough to decree an Exterminatus but I'm feeling lenient today...

1 hour ago, Darlith said:

what are your worst, most pointless premiums.

Starsbourg without a doubt. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

image.png.25ceb66a4082ce971473a2a34339fb07.png

... that's heresy enough to decree an Exterminatus but I'm feeling lenient today...

Starsbourg without a doubt. 

My issues with Bearn are completely related to using it in co-op and my own skill issues probably. But for me it is a weak ass carrier, no torps, I am bad at using rockets well, bombs are fine, and a fighter gimmick that is of very limited usefulness in the feeding frenzy that is co-op. It is the only premium though I took an instant dislike to, maybe in time it will grow on me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Darlith said:

My issues with Bearn are completely related to using it in co-op

And here lies the root of the heresy... 

Tbh Bearn is indeed not a good pick for Coop

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Of the premiums I have, California comes first to mind. Slow, fat, bad guns, eats all the damage that existed since dawn of time

Oh yeah forgot about that one when posting. It is a weird one for me, haven't played enough matches to say how it stacks up statwise, but from feels alone I'd much rather be using the Colorado. It is my least favorite of the slowboats.

12 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

And here lies the root of the heresy... 

Tbh Bearn is indeed not a good pick for Coop

Even if the Bearn had her O.E.M. torpedoes (removed by World of Warships), she still lacks the speed needed to brawl in Co-op.
That said, she's a capable CV in random battles and can do some damage before a Co-op match is over with all 'Bot ships sunk by allies.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

8 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

I found Aquila pretty bad and ussless, got it from some container.

I actually had that ship from a free CV crate. She's completely mental if she is top tier and so obnoxiously hard to use if bottom tier. During the trade in event I actually traded it in for a Sims. Aquila isn't useless, just very finicky to play because your primary attack is that 60 AP rocket salvo against cruisers and torpedoes against anything else with the slowest torpedoes in the entire game.

Basically the usual play pattern of the Aquila is trying to remove every cruiser you can find outside of AA support of any of its peers. Because you can citadel them to kingdom come to the point where you can actually sink stuff like a Nurnberg or Pensacola in two attack runs because you can land eight to twelve citadel hits in just one pass. Since your torpedoes are effectively sea mines they are better served as a way to force people to turn or move unless they are already distracted.

Where she gets completely lost is the planes are so squishy that DFAA and higher tier AA that is actually half decent are actually lethal for her compared to other carriers. A Halland in the match you got bottom tiered into is a massive problem. The other bit of it is you get spotted from the moon and have a fairly vulnerable carrier so you can get CV sniped fairly easily.

• Like 1

Any premium BB is pretty useless. But from my point of view, anything with a detection over 6.1k is pretty useless. 
only 2 types of ships in this game. DDs and targets.  

• Haha 1
  • Bored 6

1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif 

..buuut....... I have some time on my hand A48E2DD6-327E-4E69-B995-CD0955AA6217.gif......

2 hours ago, Darlith said:

Knocking off snowflakes has reminded me of how many premiums I have collected most of them non-cash. Many of them are fun to play like Okhotnik or provide something different than their tech tree variants like Boise and Mainz. Others however are just plain awful like Bearn, or pointless like Gorizia.

This lead me to thinking, what are your worst, most pointless premiums.

Here's the thing, Wows is a massively, MASSIVELY contextual game. The very same ships could  perform incredibly different, under different circumstances. That could vary from red team composition, the number of ships, involved, and more importantly the game mode played. There are some exceptions but few. For example....

2 hours ago, Darlith said:

For me the top is the aforementioned Gorizia, it feels like it is worse than the tech tree Zara in every way that matters. At least some other premiums similar to their tech tree counterparts gain something from tradeoffs like Salem or are similar enough to be worthwhile just for the bonuses like De Grasse. This one though I cannot figure a reason to use it over the Zara. 

I would probably never take her into randoms. BUT, she was just godtier in T7 3v3 brawls. Literally all you had to do is press W, when detected press smoke, as getting closer to the caps press Hydro, and boy........ 53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif. Finished that brawl in like 2 days. On both my accounts....

Edit:  And then you have different tactics coming into play. For example both Zieten and Sejong are arguably not the best picks for ranked. Except that depends on how one plays them. They both excel at defending, while NOT in offence.

One "has" to look at the different capabilities of different ships ( and classes), build into them and then play accordingly.

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif 

..buuut....... I have some time on my hand A48E2DD6-327E-4E69-B995-CD0955AA6217.gif......

Here's the thing, Wows is a massively, MASSIVELY contextual game. The very same ships could  perform incredibly different, under different circumstances. That could vary from red team composition, the number of ships, involved, and more importantly the game mode played. There are some exceptions but few. For example....

I would probably never take her into randoms. BUT, she was just godtier in T7 3v3 brawls. Literally all you had to do is press W, when detected press smoke, as getting closer to the caps press Hydro, and boy........ 53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif. Finished that brawl in like 2 days. On both my accounts....

I know it is contextual, that is why I asked what other people felt theirs were. It was a post that was subjective from the start. I can see how the Gorizia might be useful in the right mode, for me it was just a Zara with no torps and worse guns. But I don't do modes like brawls, my individual skill is weak enough for various reasons I would be dooming any people who ended up on my team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Even if the Bearn had her O.E.M. torpedoes (removed by World of Warships), she still lacks the speed needed to brawl in Co-op.
That said, she's a capable CV in random battles and can do some damage before a Co-op match is over with all 'Bot ships sunk by allies.  🙂

Generally speaking, CV's rely on and also excel in DOT and are very good at cap defence,  thus influencing PvP battles, to not funny extents. And also have a not small psychological, deterrence effect. Meanwhile none of those have meaningful influence over PVE, both coop and ops battles. Bots are scripted and don't care 🙂 

1 hour ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Ultra amazing ship

27 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

image.png.6ac0a07c6374de5800dca9e2712c5d41.png

She used to be such a fun ship in Narai... and to an extent also in the aforementioned brawls......built with a semisec build....

Smile-_tongue.gif.bd82aba42c5ab046cccd54

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Darlith said:

But I don't do modes like brawl....

46721D76-957C-425A-9701-8D106F1B2173.gif

Don't underestimate yourself, you cant learn if you don't play.

Sadly, the best place to learn different ships, their different capabilities, also weaknesses and therefore developing suitable tactics for them...... have been altered. I'm talking about ops.....

But keeping in line......Marceau 🙂  I don't really play dd's in PvP  and as such she is relegated to purely mission completing duties in coop. And that also is kinda true for babbies in general.

What can I say, I'm a cruiser chauvinist 53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif

Almost forget ..Carnot and Plymouth. Both just brrr.....

Edited by Andrewbassg

11 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

46721D76-957C-425A-9701-8D106F1B2173.gif

Don't underestimate yourself, you cant learn if you don't play.

Sadly, the best place to learn different ships, their different capabilities, also weaknesses and therefore developing suitable tactics for them...... have been altered. I'm talking about ops.....

You could be right, but my experience over many PvP oriented games over decades is, I am perpetually a worse than average player. I have slow reactions from multiple aspects, and bad situational awareness, which I have tried to get better at but it eludes me to this day. Then with this game....I just got tired of being called garbage because I wasn't a good player and decided to avoid the stress by sticking to the modes where I can just have fun blowing up ships. I do however enjoy ops as well.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Darlith said:

You

Lemme tell you a story 🙂 I FXP-ed myself into T10 just by playing Nurnberg.  Absolutely hated Yorck (the turret traverse, less guns) and I kept telling myself, "the next ship will be better". Hipper I didn't liked  "because she got only 8 guns and the increase in reload time". Then I got  Roon and I thought I will be at home, same layout. Except...not, coz the vastly different environment T6 vs T9. And when I finally got the Hindy, oh boy....... after one battle I realised how trash I was and in order to not be a liability, didn't played  her for like 6 months. 🙂 

The "morale" being.... take your time. i also don't play other games, for pretty much the same reasons as you. Watch some videos, (I would recommend Flambass he had quite a series like 2-3 years ago), play ops and play lower tier randoms.

38 minutes ago, Darlith said:

I do however enjoy ops as well.

And that's where I fault and I resent Wedgie for frakking ops up. When one ops was on rotation for 1 week..... one could learn first the operation and then one could learn different ships in a controlled environment. Not to mention, the clear tier separation and ops being lower tier, one could work his way up. Mangling tiers was one of the most reprehensible things Wedgie could ever do to the playerbase as a whole , not just to the ops community.

Edited by Andrewbassg

50 minutes ago, Darlith said:

You could be right, but my experience over many PvP oriented games over decades is, I am perpetually a worse than average player. I have slow reactions from multiple aspects, and bad situational awareness, which I have tried to get better at but it eludes me to this day. Then with this game....I just got tired of being called garbage because I wasn't a good player and decided to avoid the stress by sticking to the modes where I can just have fun blowing up ships. I do however enjoy ops as well.

Be not afraid.  🙂
We all have good days and not-so-good days.  We make "oops" or do something embarrassing.  It's okay.
We learn from our experiences and from being curious to try things and/or seek wisdom.
Embarassment makes for memorable experiences, but it is not actually lethal.  We won't die from embarassment.

So, "Do you best!"  And don't lose sleep over how a game happens to play-out.  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Bored 1

56 minutes ago, Darlith said:

No shame in PVE modes at all brother. Some of the players I admire most are Coop mains. Being good a PvP just means you are more patient than most waiting for the red player to make a mistake and capitalizing on it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andrewbassg said:

Lemme tell you a story 🙂 I FXP-ed myself into T10 just by playing Nurnberg.  Absolutely hated Yorck (the turret traverse, less guns) and I kept telling myself, "the next ship will be better". Hipper I didn't liked  "because she got only 8 guns and the increase in reload time". Then I got  Roon and I thought I will be at home, same layout. Except...not, coz the vastly different environment T6 vs T9. And when I finally got the Hindy, oh boy....... after one battle I realised how trash I was and in order to not be a liability, didn't played  her for like 6 months. 🙂 

The "morale" being.... take your time. i also don't play other games, for pretty much the same reasons as you. Watch some videos, (I would recommend Flambass he had quite a series like 2-3 years ago), play ops and play lower tier randoms.

And that's where I fault and I resent Wedgie for frakking ops up. When one ops was on rotation for 1 week..... one could learn first the operation and then one could learn different ships in a controlled environment. Not to mention, the clear tier separation and ops being lower tier, one could work his way up. Mangling tiers was one of the most reprehensible things Wedgie could ever do to the playerbase as a whole , not just to the ops community.

I have very mixed feelings on the OPs changes. On the one hand, you could learn a weekly op, on the other hand if it was one you really didn't want to play you were out ops for the week. For tiers, I miss the t6 ops being balanced for t6, and t7 for t7 since I bought some premiums of both for the purpose along with perma camos back before they split. However it is nice having t8 ops, I wish they had split the difference by making two tier spreads for them, t5-t6 and t7-t8 with the option of t9-t10 later. Though I think we might have moved away from the original thread idea too much now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Genova. This thing makes Gorizia looks decent. Then again, i like Gorizia.

FR25. My god this thing is horrible, for the life of me i couldn't make her work. Maybe ill try her again in the future

Texas. Yes, i know.  But only because her original purpose of being an absolute no fly zone was butchered as a consequence of the Carrier Rework. As of now, there's simply no reason to sail her even if she has slightly better gun angles than her sister-ship New York.

Indomitable. One reason, can someone give me one reason as to why this thing exists at all?.