Holidays in Santa City escalates the progress point requirements

Arcus_Aesopi

So I'm looking at the event, now after work...

Levels 1-5 cost 10 progress points each...  50 progress points total

Levels 6-10 cost 15 progress points each...  75 progress points total (cumulative 125)

Levels 11-15 cost 30 progress points each... 150 progress points total (c. 275)

Levels 16-20 cost 45 progress points each... 225 progress points total (c. 500 as @Gnirf pointed out from the article).

Extra levels cost 50 progress points each.  @NMA101 pointed this one out.

The 2 dailies give 20 progress points... the grindy daily (3rd box) gives 5 points for 10K BXP and 20 points for the 4th box requiring 20K BXP per week.  All of them accumulate simultaneously, so you pick up the dailies on the way toward that 10K daily BXP for master grinders.

So on a more reasonable 6K BXP per day (similar to completing the usual Battle pass daily)... You're going to get 23 progress points per day and an additional 20 per week for a total of 181 progress points in a 7 day week.  (125/week in a more reasonable 5 day week and THAT's what they focused on in the official twitch streams... 125 progress points gets you to the Scharnhorst '43 in week 1)

On Max grind 10K BXP/day will be 25 progress points per day plus the additional 20 per week for a total of 195 in a 7 day week. (145 for 5 day week)

If you're interested in the Stord '43 for 500 progress points, this should be accomplish-able in spite of the annoyance at how they've done it... no wonder the official streams focused on how fast you get to the Scharnhorst '43... *sigh*.  It must be tough having to put the good face on this stuff.

I, like others, was focused on the 2 extra festive certificates per extra level...

It still looks like a fun and good event, but WHY do it like this... good grief, make it 25 progress points per level all the way and it would be fine... no "gotcha" necessary.

Edited by Arcusaesopi
attributions
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Arcusaesopi said:

It still looks like a fun and good event, but WHY do it like this... good grief, make it 25 progress points per level all the way and it would be fine... no "gotcha" necessary.

I think WG wants to make it easy for everyone (both newbies and veterans) to get the Scharnhorst '43. But they cannot bear to see everyone getting the easy path to more festive certificates. So WG heavy loads the latter part of the Holidays in Santa City.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BigHeadShrimp said:

I think WG wants to make it easy for everyone (both newbies and veterans) to get the Scharnhorst '43. But they cannot bear to see everyone getting the easy path to more festive certificates. So WG heavy loads the latter part of the Holidays in Santa City.

Correct, this is classic WG sunk-cost bait in action. Make it easy to progress through 80% of an event, then add a massively steep grind in order to reach 100%. Notorious in the dockyard stages, but present in other places too. 

• Like 3

Yup. They see it as so much lost revenue to give somebody those extra chances at additional premium time or free ships. They want you to spend wildly on the paid crates instead of being frugal or F2P. They've already written off the "value" of the free ship in the pass as a loss leader to get people into the game and staring at the paid items in the armory.

• Like 2

Hi all,

5 hours ago, Arcusaesopi said:

So I'm looking at the event, now after work...

Levels 1-5 cost 10 progress points each...  50 progress points total

Levels 6-10 cost 15 progress points each...  75 progress points total (cumulative 125)

Levels 11-15 cost 30 progress points each... 150 progress points total (c. 275)

Levels 16-20 cost 45 progress points each... 225 progress points total (c. 500 as @Gnirf pointed out from the article).

Extra levels cost 50 progress points each.  @NMA101 pointed this one out.

The 2 dailies give 20 progress points... the grindy daily (3rd box) gives 5 points for 10K BXP and 20 points for the 4th box requiring 20K BXP per week.  All of them accumulate simultaneously, so you pick up the dailies on the way toward that 10K daily BXP for master grinders.

So on a more reasonable 6K BXP per day (similar to completing the usual Battle pass daily)... You're going to get 23 progress points per day and an additional 20 per week for a total of 181 progress points in a 7 day week.  (125/week in a more reasonable 5 day week and THAT's what they focused on in the official twitch streams... 125 progress points gets you to the Scharnhorst '43 in week 1)

On Max grind 10K BXP/day will be 25 progress points per day plus the additional 20 per week for a total of 195 in a 7 day week. (145 for 5 day week)

If you're interested in the Stord '43 for 500 progress points, this should be accomplish-able in spite of the annoyance at how they've done it... no wonder the official streams focused on how fast you get to the Scharnhorst '43... *sigh*.  It must be tough having to put the good face on this stuff.

I, like others, was focused on the 2 extra festive certificates per extra level...

As already posted and linked here in the thread:

HOLIDAY CELEBRATIONS - CLOSED TEST 12.11

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/490

The MAX is 1.000 point and we "only" need 500 for all rewars... we shall see...

Missions 

All missions can be completed over any number of battles. 

There will be three levels of daily missions to complete: 

• Simple: Earn 250 base XP in any battle type to receive 10 points.
  • Moderate: Earn 1,500 base XP in any battle type to receive 10 points.
  • Difficult: Earn 2,000 base XP in any battle type to receive 1 point. May be completed 5 times per day. 

There will be one weekly mission: 

• Earn 2,000 base XP in any battle type to receive 2 points. May be completed 10 times per week. 

In total, you will be able to earn 175 points from daily missions and 20 points from the weekly mission each week. The event will last for 5 weeks.

25 more points can be earned in special missions & activities throughout the Update. 

In total, 1,000 points will be available to earn, and you need only 500 points to obtain all main rewards.

Rewards
Total cost in points Stage Free progression line   Stage Paid progression line
  0   0

New Year permanent camouflage for Tier VIII ships 

*the reward for unlocking the paid track

10 1 1x Day of WoWs Premium Account 1 1x Santa certificate
20 2 Commander Aurora Di Natale with 6 skill points 2 New Year permanent camouflage for Tier VIII ships
30 3 3x Santa's Gift container 3 1x Santa certificate
40 4 New Year permanent camouflage for Tier VIII ships 4 1x Santa certificate
50 5 Merry Christmas commemorative flag 5 Commander Bruce Fraser with 10 skill points
65 6 3x Santa's Gift container 6 1x Santa certificate
80 7 3x Days of WoWs Premium Account 7 New Year permanent camouflage for Tier IX ships
95 8 New Year permanent camouflage for Tier VIII ships 8 4000 Coal
110 9 3x Santa's Gift container 9 1x Santa certificate
125 10 VII Scharnhorst '43 and a Port slot 10 North Cape commemorative flag
155 11 New Year permanent camouflage for Tier IX ships 11 1x Santa certificate
185 12 1x Santa's Big Gift container 12 New Year permanent camouflage for Tier IX ships
215 13 12000 Coal 13 4000 Coal
245 14 3x Santa's Gift container 14 1x Santa certificate
275 15 Flickering Sparkles commemorative flag 15 Commander Erich Bey with 10 skill points
320 16 1x Santa's Big Gift container 16 x1 Santa certificate
365 17 3x Santa's Gift container 17 x1 Santa certificate
410 18 1200 Steel 18 4000 Coal
455 19 3x Santa's Big Gift container 19 x1 Santa certificate
500 20 3x Santa's Mega Gift container 20 VII Stord '43 and a Port slot
Post-progression 21+ 1x Santa certificate 21+ 1x Santa certificate

Leo "Apollo11"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You need 500 points to get all the rewards. You will get around 700 points by just doing the first two missions every day of the event, which are 20 points combined together and there are 35 days (I think that's what I calculated anyway, lol) to the event. So it's not as daunting as it sounds.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

As already posted and linked here in the thread:

HOLIDAY CELEBRATIONS - CLOSED TEST 12.11

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/490

The MAX is 1.000 point and we "only" need 500 for all rewars... we shall see...

Leo "Apollo11"

Yup, as @oldblackdog and @NMA101 pointed out that info didn't make it over to the live notes (as of Dec 7).  But I checked the levels in the live client as suggested by @NMA101 to assess where I was with my "investment" and shared what I found with my forum-mates.

Test blog information is specifically "disclaimed" by WG.  There is a reason for reasonable people to expect the same disclosures in the game client once implemented.  Cut and paste would have worked fine and I expect WG will probably do so at some point...

Overall, it's still a good event and a nice change from the battle pass for the month... I just won't be floating in festive certificates the way I wanted to be!  😄

9 hours ago, BigHeadShrimp said:

Honestly, they could have really made this much more attractive to newbies if they'd kept the levels at 10 progress points each....  I have 50 T10's and I've seen the frustrations posted by folks with under 100 ships total about the performance bonuses for the snowflakes. 

This would have been a great way to give the new folks a significant boost in festive coupons which only grant a "chance" at various items as it is.

Folks with several hundred boat fleets enjoy it also, but we're here anyway so it would act as a nice "loyalty" reward.

• Like 1

So the more advanced stages are harder to get to. GEE, WHO DID NOT ANTICIPATE THIS THING THAT HAPPENS IN SO MANY OTHER GAMES?

• Thanks 1
  • Bored 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

So the more advanced stages are harder to get to. GEE, WHO DID NOT ANTICIPATE THIS THING THAT HAPPENS IN SO MANY OTHER GAMES?

This would make sense as an argument if we agreed that World of Warships business model was actually the same as those other games...free2play / pay2win.

Expectations are key.

4 hours ago, Colonel Potter said:

You need 500 points to get all the rewards. You will get around 700 points by just doing the first two missions every day of the event, which are 20 points combined together and there are 35 days (I think that's what I calculated anyway, lol) to the event. So it's not as daunting as it sounds.

That's very true but I think the issue people have is that it's the holiday season, people have alot of family events, work parties, traveling, etc and less time to play.

Personally for me, getting 700 points will be easy peasy and it's likely I could get well over that. Others won't be so lucky ... especially with the final 10 or so stages where the point requirements ramp up. The final stage is 45 points alone IIRC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CFagan_1987 said:

That's very true but I think the issue people have is that it's the holiday season, people have a lot of family events, work parties, traveling, etc and less time to play.

This is even more true this time around, since the update is only 5 weeks long instead of 6 (like in all previous years). One fewer week in January to "catch up".