Help picking my next Coal Ship...

LTC_Tiger

So I'm sitting on more than enough coal to add something to my port, and I already have all of the special commanders.  I'm currently thinking either Malta, U-4501 or Yoshino.  I'm a BB main and already have all of the coal BBs, but I do play the other classes as well.  Any thoughts as to which one I should go for between the three of them?

Edited by LTC_Tiger
  • Like 1

Honestly, between those? U-4501.

I know subs are hated, and in general I don't have a lot of experience with them (I pretty much just FXP'ed my way to Balao and Thrasher), but that one is just addictive. The playstyle is like nothing else in the game imho, which isn't something you can say about Yoshino (good guns, but she's just another long-range HE spammer) or Malta (her "flavor" is being easy to play, basically: all the squadrons are useful, and AP bombers are extremely useful against CLs).

The U-4501 can submerge before the caps and warp-speed its way to the enemy lines, strike some opportunity targets along the way and then play the torpedo game from behind. It's easy to misplay (run into hydro ships, get spotted by hydrophone on the surface and dropped with ASW if you linger around the cap, get spotted by planes, run out of air, etc.), but rewarding if you don't. It's very tactical (do I go for the double ping or wait for the DD/sub to dmgcon? should I attempt a shotgunning or keep my distance? how do I deal with CVs?), but also strategic, as the torpedo range is only 10 km, other subs can zone it out and the speed, when not going straight at 30 m depth, is actually pretty slow, so it can be hard to maintain battle influence.

Also, it's a real design, and the smallest craft in the game.

Again, despite not being really into subs, I've already played her more than Kearsarge, Tromp, A. de Bazan, Neustrashimy and more, all of which I got at least 10 months earlier. Never mind Malta and Yoshino, both of which I got this year...

Edited by tocqueville8
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, LTC_Tiger said:

So I'm sitting on more than enough coal to add something to my port, and I already have all of the special commanders.  I'm currently thinking either Malta, U-4501 or Yoshino.  I'm a BB main and already have all of the coal BBs, but I do play the other classes as well.  Any thoughts as to which one I should go for between the three of them?

I've enjoyed sailing the Yoshino (and her Tier-9 sister, the Azuma) for a long time.  No regrets, especially in Co-op, but also in other modes, including brawls.
That said, it is worth considering different builds for different battle modes (randoms compared with Co-op, for example).
With her armament, she can dish-out a lot of damage in a short time. 
But, with her armor scheme, she can receive a lot of damage in a short time, and she's not as nimble as the Napoli.
That said, if one sails the Yoshino well, some satisfying shennanigans can happen.  🙂 

I recently welcomed the U-4501 and find her to be an interesting and capable, but not over-powered, Submarine.
I've been a Submarine player since the introductory Halloween event.  So, adding another "flavor" of Submarine to my Port wasn't a difficult decision, for me.
With her torpedo tube arrangement, she can comfortably kite-away or fight a delaying-action to hold a map sector (so long as she remains undetected).
The Repair Party consumable is icing on the cake (but can only be used while surfaced).
Bottom line?  I like the U-4501.

The Malta.
I don't have her in my Port, yet.  But she is on my "shopping list".
I've faced her as an opponent and feel that she makes a worthy adversary in competent hands.
I enjoy playing CV's and have most of them.  The Enterprise has been eluding me, thus far.  But *someday*.  🙂
At least the Malta is obtainable, at the moment.

I suppose it comes down to what piques your interest for "something different"?  🙂 

Malta is a bit like Immelman, in that she is mostly a damage farmer against bigger ships....and you are somewhat at the mercy of matchmaking.

It is an easier carrier to play, but your ability to carry is less than Midway or Audacious.

4 hours ago, LTC_Tiger said:

Ok so there's two choices here. If you mostly play ranked then you get Napoli. Otherwise you get Moskva. Moskva is without a doubt one of, if not the best tier 10 cruiser in-game at the moment. She's survived the test of time and is still an amazing ship to play and carry games with. If you do not have Moskva You Should Get Moskva. 

Yoshino is also great if you want to have mindless farming fun, she's easy to play and perform well in. 

For DDs if you're experienced with them get Marceau if you're not get Sherman. 

If you want to play CVs get Immel or Malta both are good but Malta is better.

11 hours ago, LTC_Tiger said:

Of those… Yoshino!  But… I’m rarely ever in a carrier unless Naval Battles makes it worthwhile.   Same on subs but only in a 200 BXP week and with double stars 🙂

Good luck and happy hunting with whatever you decide!