Commonwealth Tech Tree Cruiser Line On The Way!!!!

AdmiralThunder

2 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Yeah, above Tier 7 there's really nowhere to go in the Commonwealth navies if you want to stay in steel.  

I do hope we get HMCS Ontario as a premium at some stage. I'm quite surprised she wasn't the T7. 

Agreed on cruisers...

CVs is almost the opposite problem...only tier 8 and above, unless we take HMS Puncher into account for a tier 6, because she had a Canadian crew...

23 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

dumb gimmick that makes no sence whatsoever, reeks of a typical DY ship all right

I actually find that gimmick to be interesting, shame they didn't test that before all the incarnations of funny button and ridiculous reload boosters.

As for DY ships, there has been some very interesting... D7P and Atlantico are among my favorite ships in the game. 

• Haha 1

As an Australian I approve of this development.

Oh, sorry, I mean...

CRIKEY! THAT'S BONZER MATE! DEADSET RIPPER OF AN IDEA! FAIR DINKUM! SHE'S GONNA BE SO CHOCKAS!

...and g'day and so forth and so on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I actually find that gimmick to be interesting, shame they didn't test that before all the incarnations of funny button and ridiculous reload boosters.

As for DY ships, there has been some very interesting... D7P and Atlantico are among my favorite ships in the game. 

You do? Really? In T9? Lets have a betr which "mode" wil be used 99.99% of time?

6 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

You do? Really? In T9? Lets have a betr which "mode" wil be used 99.99% of time?

The one that let you spank pestering gunboat DDs and Cruisers that you wouldn't touch otherwise? Or the one for farming BBs?

I see plenty of opportunities for using both of them.

5 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

CRIKEY! THAT'S BONZER MATE! DEADSET RIPPER OF AN IDEA! FAIR DINKUM! SHE'S GONNA BE SO CHOCKAS!

...and g'day and so forth and so on.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me present to you the DNA-spliced love child of Paul Hogan, Steve Irwin and Rolf Harris. 😜

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Yedwy said:

Yep - shajt reload, shajt caliber for tier with shajt number of barrels and dumb gimmick that makes no sence whatsoever, reeks of a typical DY ship all right

It is a difficult ship to sell for doubloons/cash at least in any numbers - for me only as a coal/DY ship

No real complaints on the AU line but some of the DPM stats are head scratchers.... T9 and T10 are rather close to each other.  10.5 reload it's gonna cut it at T10 even with smoke.... where as the T8 has Balti DPM AND smoke.... so will probably be too hot.

...and then you got this thing...

image.thumb.png.27ad5946489a5d8bebc96addc1686526.png

This thing is tragic.  Less than 200k DPM, crappy smokes, low speed, and hp pool.    Harbin would spank this this thing and it's not a very good T8 cruiser.

Flint at tier lower has 25% more dpm, better smoke, and better handling.

12 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

This thing is tragic.  Less than 200k DPM, crappy smokes, low speed, and hp pool.    Harbin would spank this this thing and it's not a very good T8 cruiser.

honestly, the 1350 shell alpha is a head scratcher for sure. I honestly don't understand why they decided it needed that. Its DPM isn't that exciting to begin with. Though I have a feeling that the selling point will be the AP, probably has some artificial penetration boost and/or enhanced ricochet angles.

As far as the smokes go, I actually used to think the german smokes were bad but I've changed my mind. In many ways, their actually the best smoke in the entire game. The British short burst is too short, great for disengaging but not enough to put out any real DPM outside of Daring(its almost useless on the cruisers that have it). American smoke lasts too long and in general almost always get players into trouble. Exhaust smoke and crawling smoke are great for movement, but the inability to leave it if necessary can be an issue if you lose vision. The german smoke isn't too long or too short, it lasts just as long as you need it to cap, hydro combo kills, or get some DPM out before enemy torps can reach you. You only linger as long as you need to get the job done, which is becoming increasingly valuable as more radar and hydro enter the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MBT808 said:

honestly, the 1350 shell alpha is a head scratcher for sure. I honestly don't understand why they decided it needed that. Its DPM isn't that exciting to begin with. Though I have a feeling that the selling point will be the AP, probably has some artificial penetration boost and/or enhanced ricochet angles.

As far as the smokes go, I actually used to think the german smokes were bad but I've changed my mind. In many ways, their actually the best smoke in the entire game. The British short burst is too short

The reason why German smoke sucks is the cooldown time, but the total smoke time is also not good.  Duration is 69s but CD is 160s meaning you have min and a half with nothing verses others being around 30 seconds.  Also, any German DD that utilizes smoke to farm, such as Elbing, will often have to take super int. because otherwise your total smoke time.

If you like the length the German smoke, then Pan asian smoke would be the best in your book.  Similar length, very low CD time, longish emission time, and extra charges so you don't need SI to get adequate smoke time.

WG mentioned Z52, but the shell HE and reload are nerfed from that, normally being 1500he and 4 sec.  Had they left it intact, it would have 270k HE DPM which would be much more appropriate for a DD gun cruiser at T8. 

As it stands now, there is zero reason to take this over an Akizuki which is about the same DPM but is better in almost all of conceivable ways...

• Like 3

Commonwealth line is welcome and I like the changes from RN Cruisers (HE, Crawling Smoke, long range torpedoes) but there's a distinct air of "Will this do?" about it. 

Tier I is real enough but not as interesting as HMAS Diamantina (a museum ship) or a Grimsby class sloop (HMS Wellington, still looking cool in the Thames)

Tier II is Weymouth. Which is wrong. The Australian Towns (Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide) were all later variations on the class. But it looks like WG has opted for a C&P Weymouth as a spurious precursor.

Tier III is Caledon, with only the most tenuous of connections to the Commonwealth. Given that there were five different sorts of C Class (not including the AA reversions) and that the names of the later ones have better Commonwealth connections (Capetown, Colombo, Calcutta) this just looks as if they didn't want to build any new hulls.

The rest of it is all very familiar and looks a bit worrying in terms of performance - high Tier CA guns all do less alpha damage than RN CA equivalents, and if that tier VIII *is* Albemarle without a super heal, that's going to be very uncomfortable to play, indeed.

• Like 2

The only interesting ship to me is T9 which Cockatoo proposal for heavy cruiser. The rest are ... less interesting even if it was expected that all of them will be mostly copies of RN cruisers. But somehow getting fourth Crown Colony class, third at T7, does not feel existing. Also using Albemarle at T8 looks odd, especially when there are two cruisers, HM Australia and HMS Canberra that could be used instead but probably WG didn't wanted 3 Australian ships as top three. There is even proposal for arming HMAS Adelaide with 5x7.5 inch (190mm) guns which could be used. Nice to get Commonwealth line, but IMO could be better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

The rest of it is all very familiar and looks a bit worrying in terms of performance - high Tier CA guns all do less alpha damage than RN CA equivalents, and if that tier VIII *is* Albemarle without a super heal, that's going to be very uncomfortable to play, indeed.

It’s probably the HE + smoke combination. Just look at how Pan-Asian cruisers were implemented, and those ships have DD-caliber guns with low penetration. We’ll see if they get any buffs during development.

10 hours ago, MBT808 said:

Exhaust smoke and crawling smoke are great for movement, but the inability to leave it if necessary can be an issue if you lose vision.

You can leave crawling smoke, the cover it provides is speed dependent. Long action time on the consumable makes it great for repositioning - you can go hell for leather across open water and you'll go dark a lot faster than other ships (as the crawling smoke cover will kick in when you go below - I think - 16 knots). It was another of the hilarious things about Haida, which had Crawling Smoke and Speed Boost.

3 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

It’s probably the HE + smoke combination. Just look at how Pan-Asian cruisers were implemented, and those ships have DD-caliber guns with low penetration. We’ll see if they get any buffs during development.

I hope so. Smoke + HE is easy enough to counter or debuff without making the ships fundamentally weak. I can see that Hobart's detection is worse than Perth's (that includes smoke detection) so WG have clearly had that in mind.

16 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

No real complaints on the AU line but some of the DPM stats are head scratchers.... T9 and T10 are rather close to each other.  10.5 reload it's gonna cut it at T10 even with smoke.... where as the T8 has Balti DPM AND smoke.... so will probably be too hot.

the funny thing is that same tier DD has 4 seconds reload with 1500 (HE)/3000 (AP) damage and same tier BB has 3.4 seconds reload with 1500 (HE) 

if its going to have dd guns with worst concealment and a citadel at the very least it should have some crazy high DPM.

On 12/1/2023 at 8:06 AM, invicta2012 said:

but there's a distinct air of "Will this do?" about it. 

What it will do is show that Hector is the most tragic ship in the game (even worse than Tiger 59)....when the T9 tree-mate has a real hydro, equivalent DPM with CA shells, and actual armor....  and most importantly not a long grind to get a worse ship.

That said....  I'd bet my blind-fire certification card that the T10 will get a DPM buff while the T8/9 ships get nerfed...

Having a T9 ship that's nearly as good at the next in line T10 is not allowed...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

What it will do is show that Hector is the most tragic ship in the game (even worse than Tiger 59)....when the T9 tree-mate has a real hydro, equivalent DPM with CA shells, and actual armor....  and most importantly not a long grind to get a worse ship.

I was hoping for a sub-branch of CLs via Royalist and Black Prince (NZ Dido class ships. And I quite like Hector....

On 12/1/2023 at 2:11 AM, YouSatInGum said:

I feel like they're banking on her having two things Flint and Harbin don't: Lutjens to very easily get a DPM buff (granted Harbin and Flint can have a commander related reload buff but are relatively harder to proc) and having 32mm pen to pen just about everything vs 21 which only pens DDs/superstructures, so the effective DPM is higher. 

Still a good question why this over Mainz though. 15k more HE DPM and 20k more AP DPM on a tankier hull. Granted Mainz is hard competition to go up against for T8 damage farming cruisers but still.

the minute i saw no HMNZS Achilles in the line, killed all interest the line for me.

Edited by Dreadnought_69