What class of ship do you think is missing from the game?

kriegerfaust

13 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I edited the post while you were sending this re-read it.

I have said all along give POW its historical smoke and that sets it apart for those who object to multiple ships that are the same. I personally don't care if POW is 100% the same as KGV (note - POW could be made so that it favors AP over HE to make it different from KGV with DOY's improved AP). To me it is just like B ships. I want POW for its history. Don't care if it is the same as other ships in game. 

I can understand the historical appeal, but I think WG would want something to motivate sales to players without awareness of the ship's heritage.  Otherwise the priority of working on the ship might slip behind others that look more attractive.

Of course, giving the PoW a 5 second reload would do that, but I like sane gimmicks on any suggested ship I put forwards.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

I can understand the historical appeal, but I think WG would want something to motivate sales to players without awareness of the ship's heritage.  Otherwise the priority of working on the ship might slip behind others that look more attractive.

Of course, giving the PoW a 5 second reload would do that, but I like sane gimmicks on any suggested ship I put forwards.

Well, it is basically a copy paste of KGV and DOY as far as the ship goes. Slightly change the camo and make any desired tweaks (like smoke, reload, HP, etc...) and bingo. Would be very easy for them to do even with their current staff issues and I believe it would sell very well as a Premium as POW is well known historically by a huge number of people. Also, it could be used in a 3rd BRN BB line split. The new line could be similar to the current one but AP focused instead of HE focused.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, armory said:

this game is missing a submarine aircraft carrier 😂

There is a saying: Be careful what you wish for 🤣.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Asym said:
7 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The trade-off being limited ammunition?

All they need to do is shoot "One Round".....

Well, that does bring-up the notion of how effective torpedoes, similar to the Mk-48 wire-guided specimen, actually would be on a WW-II ship's hull.
Might be interesting if some research could be found or some experiments done with decent computer modeling.  🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I edited the post while you were sending this re-read it.

I have said all along give POW its historical smoke and that sets it apart for those who object to multiple ships that are the same. I personally don't care if POW is 100% the same as KGV (note - POW could be made so that it favors AP over HE to make it different from KGV with DOY's improved AP). To me it is just like B ships. I want POW for its history. Don't care if it is the same as other ships in game. 

buy a kitset model, might reduce your anxiety and stress. unlikely WG will do it.

Armored cruisers: ships with BB armor and great concealment but low speed, They could come in 2 variants first is few large caliber main guns with big secondary guns and the second lots of medium caliber guns using pre dreadnought gun distribution, think of a shorter atlantico but with 11x2 234mm as main guns (max broadisde of 7x2 guns)  

3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Well, that does bring-up the notion of how effective torpedoes, similar to the Mk-48 wire-guided specimen, actually would be on a WW-II ship's hull.
Might be interesting if some research could be found or some experiments done with decent computer modeling.  🤔

According to the FTG's that served in the FA subs, ah.........not much would be left.  Some of those vets aren't on this forum sadly.  I will ask one of them, what he thinks; and, since I out rank him, he might join and answer.  Or, he'll call me a noodle-neck stupid head and talk to my wife.... again.... still....... sigh..  [shrugging emoji]  

And, he's death with a pistol and he can't beat me with a rifle (although, to be fair, he did once....beat me with one of my own rifles I lent him)  so......it's a draw whether he wanders in.....

Oh, I forgot:

image.png.172398d0fdca22c3c4375b4af8a06055.png

Ah, me thinks there'd not be much left that worked.

Edited by Asym
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I want New Jersey and Wisconsin both.

If we are talking individual ships as some have give me my Prince of Wales.

I agree, the POW is one I'd really want in my port.  One of the first ships as a Kid I read about....

Now, the Wisconsin is the BB my FIL served on from 1945 to 1954....  And, I visited the NJ in Camden and spent an entire day wandering around....  It seems Rank can open some opportunities and I got to go several places aren't part of the normal tour....  Now, Philly is a freaking war zone.... But, if you get to visit and stay at the Morris House B&B and spend a few days in that part of Phiily (independence hall and everything else there!) , the NJ is a water taxi across the Delaware river and a great visit ! 

5 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Well lets put it like this a Mk48 is expected to punch through moire modern fully welded multilayer sub hulls supposedly some even made of titanium so i guess it should be pretty effective...

Now the warhead weight in mk48 and mk14 (WW2 era) is pretty much the same, chemical explosive mixtures did advance a bit since then but not radically so lets say the detonation power is 30-60% higher in the new fish to account for better mixtrures used its still close enough to be able to deduce the effects from the mk14 recorded hits, also one could just look at the damage longlances have done as its 490kg warhead is about 60% bigger then the mk48/mk14 so its effects might be just about similar

Some actuall US Navy guys that might lurk around would prob know to more a detail if they saw a testing on some hulk or at least got checked out on the systems general specs or saw footage of it being used on hulks though

Edited by Yedwy
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Asym said:

And, he's death with a pistol and he can't beat me with a rifle (although, to be fair, he did once....beat me with one of my own rifles I lent him)  so......it's a draw whether he wanders in.....

Arrgh.  Next time, hand him a pillow.  Doesn't hurt as much on the downswing. :classic_cool:

Seriously though, any torpedo was and is bad news hitting any ship.  Modern torpedoes are designed to break the back of a ship they target, so basically in-game, they would be DWT without any hull restrictions and probably 50 percent more damage, homing without needing a ping mechanic, and anything below a Cruiser would probably just be cut in half.  

And then, there are the truly insane nuclear torpedoes the Soviet Navy came up with.  That can be simulated tactically by tapping the little 'x' at the top right of the game screen border and strategically by turning your computer off, tossing it into the trash dumpster, and putting an abacus on your desk as a replacement.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

Arrgh.  Next time, hand him a pillow.  Doesn't hurt as much on the downswing. :classic_cool:

Seriously though, any torpedo was and is bad news hitting any ship.  Modern torpedoes are designed to break the back of a ship they target, so basically in-game, they would be DWT without any hull restrictions and probably 50 percent more damage, homing without needing a ping mechanic, and anything below a Cruiser would probably just be cut in half. 

And then, there are the truly insane nuclear torpedoes the Soviet Navy came up with.  That can be simulated tactically by tapping the little 'x' at the top right of the game screen border and strategically by turning your computer off, tossing it into the trash dumpster, and putting an abacus on your desk as a replacement.

I will try to get a few of them (Navy vets) to join the forum.  We'll see if they do.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Type_93 said:

The future should hold:

Guided missile platforms

wake homing torpedos 

nuclear subs that don’t have to replenish batteries 

I agree, but any ship built after 1950 and all super ships should be in T11. Any ship built after 1960 goes in T12. 

WoWs struggles to balance ships with like capabilities, they would never be able to balance any of these in lower tiers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gillhunter said:

I agree, but any ship built after 1950 and all super ships should be in T11. Any ship built after 1960 goes in T12. 

WoWs struggles to balance ships with like capabilities, they would never be able to balance any of these in lower tiers. 

Agreed had they went with the 1890 + (more or less) decade = tier system it would be more intuitive...

23 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

They were the 1st Battleships ever sunk solely by air attack if memory serves me right.

<ahem>  Pearl Harbor?

First BBs sunk at sea / underway, maybe.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Asym said:

I will try to get a few of them (Navy vets) to join the forum.  We'll see if they do.

Hmm.  @HogHammerdoes this suggest a section for war stories?  Oral histories...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

<ahem>  Pearl Harbor?

First BBs sunk at sea / underway, maybe.

Yup on the open sea under power. Should have added that (will if I can still edit it). Those 2 ships were sunk 3 days after Pearl on the 10th.

28 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Yup on the open sea under power. Should have added that (will if I can still edit it). Those 2 ships were sunk 3 days after Pearl on the 10th.

Much closer to 2 days, technically, for the same reason Japanese sources often date the Pearl Harbor attack to Dec 8. Both Japan and the South China Sea are on the opposite side of the International Date Line from Pearl Harbor.

Edited by Nevermore135

Among ships that can easily be T5 or higher (except Pan-Am BBs):

US

Northampton Class: Houston is right there. Especially seeing the other major ABDACOM players (Java, De Ruyter, Exeter, Jupiter, and Perth) are now in the game
Fargo Class: Easily could of been T9 in place of Seattle for the US cruiser split
Juneau Class: May be hard to add as these are basically Flints.
Porter Class: Somers but slightly different
Gridley, Bagley Classes: Think Mahan/Farragut

UK

R-Class: How have none of these been put in the game yet? Royal Oak is there, plus Royal Sovereign and be a co-premium with her Soviet version.
DD classes from the A-I Class (Acasta, Icarus, Gallant present) plus P and S class

IJN: other than a lot of Kuma/Tenryu era cruisers or Minekaze-esque DDs, there isn't much

French

Jeanne D'Arc: Duguay with armor
Dquense class: similar to Dupleix, with no armor
Le Hardi class DDs and T-47: Zf-6 kind of counts.
L'Ardoit Class: Borassque but bigger
La Melpomene class

Germany

Emden (the interwar one, not the T2 premium)

Italy

Bolzano- Zara guns, Trento armor.
Multiple DD classes

Dutch:

Witte de With: yeah that's probably not spelled right

Pan-Am

Brazilian Minas Graes class:
Argentine Moreno class:
Chilean Altmirante Latorre class: you cna get a Pan-Am BB line to T5 with these three, then Brazilian and Argentine designs the rest
20 de Augusto: Imagine Dalarna gunnery but half the torpedo power

Sweden

Tre Kronor class: One T6 looking like an Italian, the other T7 looking like a Brit with pre 8.0 Worcester's AA.

• Like 1

We need some PT / Schnellboote! These could be operated like the aircraft groups are now where the player controls the leader while a squadron of wingmen (drones) form up beside you. "Launched" from island bases, perhaps enabled by your team's map control or by a player controlled "APG" (tender). Yes! More torp spam! 😛

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_torpedo_boat_tender

Only half joking... It's possible to do this. They had the E-Boats (Schnellboote) way back when Operation Dynamo came out (R.I.P...) and they were fun as hell to shoot (hard to shoot, until you got the hang of it). These were ofc AI controlled but I doubt it would be that hard to use the same type of coding the CV / Hybrid aircraft use in order to operate a small attack "group" of accompanying boats.

Alone, well... They'd need stealth cranked up to 11. 

Make them available on cooldown and limited in total craft. When you run out, you can shoot your 3" deck gun from the Tender if you're still alive. 😀

9 minutes ago, xamdam said:

We need some PT / Schnellboote! These could be operated like the aircraft groups are now where the player controls the leader while a squadron of wingmen (drones) form up beside you. "Launched" from island bases, perhaps enabled by your team's map control or by a player controlled "APG" (tender). Yes! More torp spam! 😛

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_torpedo_boat_tender

Only half joking... It's possible to do this. They had the E-Boats (Schnellboote) way back when Operation Dynamo came out (R.I.P...) and they were fun as hell to shoot (hard to shoot, until you got the hang of it). These were ofc AI controlled but I doubt it would be that hard to use the same type of coding the CV / Hybrid aircraft use in order to operate a small attack "group" of accompanying boats.

Alone, well... They'd need stealth cranked up to 11. 

Make them available on cooldown and limited in total craft. When you run out, you can shoot your 3" deck gun from the Tender if you're still alive. 😀

What we really DONT need is more of "super fast shotgun range torpedo delivery stuff" we have that in excess...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kriegerfaust said:

minelaying.jpg

so people have even more reason to play passive 

and to counter passive play we get rocket barges