Official word from WG regarding ASW range discrepancies (injustice) for some ships is that all is OK

Leo_Apollo11

9 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I couldn't figure out what, if anything, I did differently to bring about the rare occurrence.

EZ, your feedback aligned with WG goals.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MBT808 said:

The problem is, most of the channels for communication are often vast unfathomable voids that your speaking into. Most times at best you'll get a generic boilerplate response or more commonly no response at all. Even if you get response, nothing happens anyway. The only time there is a tangible response from WG is when a riot erupts in response to what their doing.

I largely lost faith in those channels after multiple cases of feedback/concerns being relayed back in an unrecognizable form, twisted in such a way to completely miss the point. There was a definite culture of “I heard what you said, let me tell you what you meant” before the old forums were torpedoed.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

EZ, your feedback aligned with WG goals.

I suppose.

Of course, the CM argued against my idea for a while...then WG implemented it...

3 hours ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

Folks why are you arguing special/premium ships when there are clear issues with ASW on tech tree ships that don't make sense ?

I think we all can agree ship-based depth charge on cruisers aren't desirable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GMMF said:

I think we all can agree ship-based depth charge on cruisers aren't desirable. 

I'm inclined to want whatever the ship was equipped with "in real life".

Of course, this is an arcade game more than a simulation.  😉 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

And meanwhile Georgia is allowed to have normal ASW, and she's a pre-disclaimer BB who is definitely overtuned hard. WG not only has a bad idea, but they can't even stick with it.

This! Nothing makes sense .... at all!

I really think there is just some interns at WeeGee that roll some dice when it comes to these "balancing factors" because it has nothing to do with the ships itself. Why do some get 5 km, some 6 km and some 10 km, why do some light cruisers get plane ASW while some heavy cruisers like Hinden get ship based ASW.

No thought at all goes into this like most other balancing in this game. Its just a roll of the dice ....

18 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

There is actually a thread about this (in a way) going on over on Reddit right now. I am getting hammered because I have said surface ship vs surface ship interaction is different than surface ship vs sub interaction and they need to be balanced separately.

A surface ship may be "OP" vs other surface ships (Musashi is the Reddit example) but that has NOTHING to do with its interactions with Subs and its ability to defend against them and strike back against them. I have advocated for a standard ASW range by tier. Apparently I am the dumbest clueless need to git-gud idiot to ever play WOWS. No one has bothered to answer why Georgia, another "OP" T9 BB more able to deal with Subs not taking ASW into account, gets 10km ASW while Musashi which is way less suited to it only gets 5km. 

Of note those bashing me are Sub defenders who tell me it is easy to dodge homing torps in Musashi and that I can just run away from them with its blazing fast 27 knot speed. 😂

Yeah, its hilarious .... or not! The Sub excusers almost go more overboard than CV excusers. I would never say its impossible to dodge homing torps in a BB but that is mostly down to what sub and what BB, it takes skill either way, it takes almost no skill for the sub player to keep spamming torps at you and he can keep up with you. And im talking as a player who play subs.

Im not a BB Main but I do pretty well in them and if I face a sub I just try and run away. I know that if he hes 2 working brain cells he will win.

It was fun interaction in chat in the latest Gato video I watched where some BB players wondered how Subs were balanced and the abusive Sub player said it was like HE spamming BBs..... yeah...!

Also fun to know that even tho this sub player misplayed a whole lot in this video (probably pretty new) he still got 236 K damage 6 kills etc etc with ease.

11 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

So, my question remains, "Why are people posting here on DevStrike with the expectation that their words will somehow change WG/WOWs path?"
Especially when this Forum is *not* affiliated with the coporate structure of World of Warships?

The appropriate venues are elsewhere.  😉 
We don't send a letter to Santa by addressing it to the Great Pumpkin, eh?  🙂 

Im not sure Anyone here expect their threads to effect anything WeeGee does, just like we had ZERO impact on them in the old official forum. I think this forum just as the last is to vent all the frustration on the game and the path they are on ... and also the occasional "nice treads" talking about Christmas boxes and stuff.

WeeGee haven't listened to the community for 8 years, no reason they start now.

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:
11 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

So, my question remains, "Why are people posting here on DevStrike with the expectation that their words will somehow change WG/WOWs path?"
Especially when this Forum is *not* affiliated with the coporate structure of World of Warships?

The appropriate venues are elsewhere.  😉 
We don't send a letter to Santa by addressing it to the Great Pumpkin, eh?  🙂 

Im not sure Anyone here expect their threads to effect anything WeeGee does, just like we had ZERO impact on them in the old official forum. I think this forum just as the last is to vent all the frustration on the game and the path they are on ... and also the occasional "nice treads" talking about Christmas boxes and stuff.

Okay, but I still don't see the benefit of mis-addressing the correspondance.
The Tooth-Fairy shouldn't expect to deal with the Letters to Santa, eh?  🙂 

24 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Okay, but I still don't see the benefit of mis-addressing the correspondance.
The Tooth-Fairy shouldn't expect to deal with the Letters to Santa, eh?  🙂 

I think you have to explain this part to me. Are players sending letters now?

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I think you have to explain this part to me. Are players sending letters now?

It's a euphamisim or a metaphor.

While the communication may be via electronic methods, the principle of sending the sentiments to the appropriate "in box" still applies, in my opinion.
DevStrike is not officially affiliated on a corporate level with World of Warships.
And WOWs already has "in boxes" that they advertise and monitor.

Though, strictly speaking, there actually is a "Letters to Santa" event going on.
https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/community/letter-to-santa/

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Ah yes, the use of Sim vs Arcade when sub fans use "but they were there in reality".

Fun & engaging should apply but doesn't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Musket22 said:

Ah yes, the use of Sim vs Arcade when sub fans use "but they were there in reality".

Fun & engaging should apply but doesn't.

If we were to go "all in" on simulation, a lot of the consumables and other stuff would vanish.
The battles would require a lot more time.
Radar would no longer function through islands.  And etc. & etc.   🙂 

The 20 minutes or less "pew pew pew" format seems to be more marketable, though.  

Personally, there's a lot of fun to be had in the arcade version.
Even simlations have a "fast forward" button available in the single-player mode.

2 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

No thought at all goes into this like most other balancing in this game. Its just a roll of the dice ....

WG's balancing department...

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/28/2023 at 11:38 AM, Nevermore135 said:

Most of this ships with these features are on the “naughty list” (Massachusetts, Jean Bart, Musashi, GC, etc.). They were removed from regular availability for over-performing, and the airstrike ranges are poor attempts to rein them in (especially those that are made available every Black Friday).

And yet Georgia (arguably as strong/overperforming as Massachusetts plus more gimmicks) has 10km airstrike lols! Their balancing attempt in this is just poor and frankly, balancing in this way just doesn't work. :S

Having a scientific formation, I find natural to keep a "control group" when studying the behavior of a variable...

If you ask me, GA is the "control group" for monitoring the impact of ASW range as a balancing factor. It is important to isolate the impact of ASW range from a more general change in the environment, like the presence of Submarines themselves. 

While I would like to have my placebo for good feels in JB/Thunderer/etc, doesn't matter too much. It's not like ASW does anything anyway. 

On 11/28/2023 at 2:19 PM, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Ahskance [NA] essentially wrote that bad ASW was given to those ships (for example Massachusetts) because they are strong in other areas... IMHO that is very very bad idea and "solution"...

Leo "Apollo11"

...I see the WedGie logic truly on display here.

And explanation why DDs must suck against Submarines: "Strong in other areas", such as concealment and torpedoing of straight-line sailing players, and as such must be forced to dry to physically reach Submarines while lit up by radar/planes/surface/submarine spotting

13 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

While I would like to have my placebo for good feels in JB/Thunderer/etc, doesn't matter too much. It's not like ASW does anything anyway. 

It does do things...just not as effectively as to allow the user to be the aggressor.

On 11/28/2023 at 2:30 AM, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Official word from WG regarding ASW range discrepancies (injustice) for some ships is that all is OK... ☹️

https://discord.com/channels/669128285527080961/1176882228878389308/1176882228878389308

Leo "Apollo11"

WG is so dented.  There is a problem in this game of shotgunning from subs. So what do they do, make some ships have to use depth charges at point blank range to fight a sub which is already OP because they can shotgun at point blank?  DERP

44 minutes ago, MegaHugeNoob said:

WG is so dented.  There is a problem in this game of shotgunning from subs. So what do they do, make some ships have to use depth charges at point blank range to fight a sub which is already OP because they can shotgun at point blank?  DERP

Your expectations for game balance are not shared by WG, I bet.

The game is a bit derpy anyway.

Suggestion make limbo and bofors 375mm ASW rockets aimable or at the very least give us a fixed aiming reticle! Also add hedgehogs where applicable so DDs can deal with subs that are bow tanking or going for a ram. 

Incidentally, Edger should have the Ikara ASW rockets for a 1975 ship and triple tubes for the mk46 ASW torpedo. Along with sea dart, sea wolf and either exocet or harpoon! I may have decided on an appropriate fit for her if wargaming is interested...

Edited by Foxhound421a

4 hours ago, MegaHugeNoob said:

Actually, the problem isn't what you think it is.  The problem is that shotgunning is the only reliable way Subs can produce comparable damage numbers to other ship types.

With ships having a passive range where homing torps lose their tracking, the ability of a target to negate homing at will by use of DCP, and the disadvantages of the ping both alerting the target of the Sub's presence/general location and that homing torpedoes are being targeted on them, the mechanic that was supposed to allow Subs to attack from larger ranges reliably has been actually the form of attack a Sub least wants to perform.  At the same time, use of unguided torpedoes becomes drastically worse the more the range to the target increases.

Thus, shotgunning becomes both the default offensive and defensive choice for Subs, and about the only way to be effective in them.  More, the obstacles WG put on Sub vrs Sub combat means even Sub players like myself who want to focus on hunting the opposing Subs have little choices but to accept that they have to concentrate on the other enemy units to make any decent XP in match.

That's the problem with shotguns.  Not that they happen but that they are set up to be the only real option for a Sub that wants to be relevant.

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/29/2023 at 9:38 AM, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I think this forum just as the last is to vent all the frustration on the game and the path they are on

That seems to be the opinion of some, many of them from EU.

I wish they'd get their heads straight.  What you might find cathartic (doubtful, actually) is literally chasing away would be posters.

On 11/29/2023 at 9:38 AM, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

You're stuck in the past, son.  WeeGee isn't even here to hear.  This is a forum for friendly banter, not for rabbling your villains.  You need to do that, go to Discord.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 9:38 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Are you saying that submerged speeds for subs should be what they were "in real life", or are you saying, but it's okay to change them to 3 times what they were "in real life"?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gillhunter said:

Are you saying that submerged speeds for subs should be what they were "in real life", or are you saying, but it's okay to change them to 3 times what they were "in real life"?

If this game gave ships what they had IRL, it would be completely different and very few would enjoy it.

12 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

If this game gave ships what they had IRL, it would be completely different and very few would enjoy it.

Jakob, sorry, but I don't recall asking you. When the game began the ships were pretty accurate as far as their armament, armor and speed, although they did play arcade style. People seemed to enjoy it.