What am I doing wrong?

SleepySalmon

I watched a render of the second game you uploaded and the most glaring issue to me is your positioning and target selection. You don't actually hit a shot until over 6 minutes in. Early in the game, you fully committed to the flank, which is a correct play, but given the ships present (a destroyer, light cruiser, and a battleship at the edge of the range) you should have been considering if your presence there was even necessary. 3 friendly cruisers and a battleship and destroyer is sufficient to hold that flank.

The enemy team also left the gap between B and C wide open. You therefore could've had more impact by exploiting that error and pushing through that opening. Furthermore, the collapse of your other flank dictates that you need to play more aggressively to secure the flank and cap, or immediately rotate and attempt to stem the enemy push. Of course, this is already a losing position and more often than not you will lose regardless, but doing either action would have given your team a better chance. 

Finally, 29 shells hit is simply insufficient, even if the amount of damage you dealt was good. I believe your positioning is doing you no favors here as well. You are too far away from too few targets to have sufficient impact on your games. Make your life easier, find somewhere with more targets and get slightly closer. Obviously don't go brawling in your Warspite, but you can afford to play closer. 

Tl:dr Use the minimap and try to judge the correct tempo of play. You had a significant numerical advantage and still played very passively, disregarding the overall match situation. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Match 1 (Neighbors): very little 'meaningful' (read: early) damage. The match was irretrievably lost at around the 10min mark. At that point all we had landed was one good salvo on a very lost New York who was going to die anyway. All the damage done thereafter was nice for PR but meaningless in terms of changing the outcome.

Match 2 (New Dawn): again, very little early game impact. Like @Unlooky said, you have to commit to a course of action: either hunt down and kill the ships at C or immediately turn around and kite the pushers from A. The worst course of action is doing neither.

Match 3 (Seychelles): This was a winnable game deep into the match. You got a good early DD kill. The biggest issue here was that once your allies at D-cap died, you abandoned your corner, which meant that the full enemy blob was free to rotate mid. If you had stayed on the 9-10 line, you would have forced the enemy to commit to hunting you down (and killing a Warspite isn't easy) or you could have back-capped D. 

Rotating mid didn't really put a lot of pressure on the enemy team: they still got to remain a blob and you always were vulnerable to focus. 

Overall:

- Early game impact is not strong enough. That generally means early damage on DDs and Cruisers, since the BBs are usually farther back at the start.

- Early game tanking. In the early contest your BB should be available to soak up cruiser and DD fire for your allies that are contesting cap. If you are too far back to be an enticing target, then your allies will likely come out the worse in the early damage exchanges.

- Not hitting shots. For a Warspite, a DD at 9km should be a consistent chunk. Cruisers at 12km should be very reliable hits. BBs at all ranges should be pretty reliable donks. The AP butters pretty much everything at T7 and below, so you use it early and often. If you're struggling with lead, try a dynamic range finder. Obviously also practice practice practice.

- Lacking confidence. I watched you hesitate against most of your targets. Try to be conscious about speeding up target selection, aiming correctly, firing, and repeat. Ideally you're putting out meaningful shots on reload. Currently we're averaging a salvo every ~60-80s between all of our indecision.

- Finishing off overextended enemies. Most heartbreaking were the nose-in Rahmat on New Dawn and the nose-in Emile Bertin on Seychelles. You wavered for so long that you could have shot, reloaded, and shot again. If you are worried that a nose-in cruiser will exploit your reload to turn away, shoot one turret to bait them into making a decision, then fire the other 3 once they commit to something.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2023 at 10:26 PM, SleepySalmon said:

I need some advice. Lately I've been getting loss streaks and I don't know what I am doing wrong. Below are the 3 latest games. Am I positioning wrong? Is my aim terrible?

https://replayswows.com/replay/190798#stats

https://replayswows.com/replay/190799#stats

https://replayswows.com/replay/190800#stats

I'll look at them and do my analysis

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2023 at 10:26 PM, SleepySalmon said:

I need some advice. Lately I've been getting loss streaks and I don't know what I am doing wrong. Below are the 3 latest games. Am I positioning wrong? Is my aim terrible?

https://replayswows.com/replay/190798#stats

OK so replay number 1:

15:33, AP loaded first very good, I watched it a bit until you stopped and reversed achieving not much at all. Instead of doing this you should head towards G5-G6 to be able to assist your friendly Mutsuki and offer crossfire with your friendly Colorado. 

13:39, You can see that New York inting down the middle so I'd just focus fire him and then turn your guns towards the cruisers that are the closest threat to your DD. At the moment you've spend 6 minutes of the battle not really achieving anything at all, time wasted is damage and kills lost.

12:53, First hit of the match very nice salvo, after this New York died it'd be smart to start moving to G5-G6 again to assist your team and offer crossfires.

12:38, You shot at the Jervis and you could see you weren't spotted, this indicates the T-22 is behind the islands so now is a great choice to push up a bit more and be aggressive against those cruisers.

11:15, You could see that Warspite repushing, good reactions to come and counter him. Setting up a crossfire with the Boise and Eendracht is a smart move. However you should focus that Warspite instead of the Weimar as he's the biggest threat to your team, also you forgot to lockon to the Weimar.

9:15, Now you're going to start being focused, try and isolate the enemies so you can fight them one at a time. Get behind an island so you can focus directly on the Asturias. Also you're being pushed into your base, start trying to crossfire the enemies again. Crossfire kills which is why it's always great to have one going on. Having the enemy have to think harder and harder when they're engaging in an intense situation will always lead to mistakes.

7:47, As soon as that enemy Warspite started pushing out you should start reversing, bait him to come closer, edge him hard while he tries and trades one on one. Make him work for his damage and kills don't go closer making it easier for him.

6:21, I've noticed with your aiming you mostly always underlead or overlead, when you're shooting fire each turret instead so you can adjust your aim accordingly. Also you can see you've been boxed in by the enemy. You must make a play, push somewhere to be able to make the box where your team is large, giving more space for plays. You should follow the Colorado and push into the middle, bend over and spank the ASSTurias and clap the Furataka cheeks. The DD can't do much if you don't push into their torpedoes.

Nice kill on ASSturias, but that salvo on the Jervis needed to land. It was make or break. However the most important parts where leading up to the end, you had some ok plays and some good shots but there's lots of room for improvement. Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to say I hope you found it useful, if you did just tell people I can analyze their replays. It'll help us grow a bit yk 💪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...