Asymmetric Battles

Efros

6 hours ago, xamdam said:

Last hours of AB being a bit rough. Quote of the day (so far) after a Montana / Des Moines div rushed straight up one flank in a "Standard Battle". The Des Moans gets devstruck and starts blaming the "cowards hiding in the back"... His Montana buddy goes a min or so later.

Trying to explain how the bots operate in the Standard Battle is met with silence. Obviously, he didn't care or isn't willing to learn. Oh well, such is the way of the playerbase.

I will be sad when these get removed though. I will also have a lot more time to do other things that are piling up! 

What a shameful display

Des Moines was one the best performing cruisers to take into Asymm

DesMemes4.PNG

• Like 1

Yeah. Didn't play mine but played my Salem quite a bit which was fun and required good positioning and SA, as it should be.

Well I have to admit ... the loss of Asymmetric battles is a blow.

I've been playing it almost exclusively since they brought it back, and the few times I went into COOP it was a let down.

This does not bode well for my engagement with the game now that the mode is gone.

Ah well - LOTRO is downloading it's high res textures at the moment, so that should keep me amused for a while :)

• Like 2

The support for AsB in the WG stream today was overwhelmingly positive.  It will be back.

Probably with nerfed rewards.

They had already nerfed the rewards of asymmetric to the point where T9 tech tree grinding occasionally would lose you credits if no premium time. The only nerf that would need to be levied is against the secondary gun focused BBs. Most other ship types have to work significantly harder to "cash in".

Headed toward a break after the current dockyard.  VERY unrewarding to play without all the santa season bonuses.

52 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

The support for AsB in the WG stream today was overwhelmingly positive.  It will be back.

I saw you in the Official WG/WOWs Twitch stream chat.  🙂 

Nice to think Asymmetric Battle mode will return.

The notion of nerfed rewards does not spark joy, though.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

4 hours ago, iDuckman said:

At the very least, I'm sure they'll halve mission progression for ribbons / fires / cits, etc... just like they do in Ops.

Edited by xamdam

I played AsB mostly because they were fun and occasionally even challenging. The rewards were good as well, but only if you did well. If you didn't, you didn't really get much more than in a good coop match, for much longer time. What they really need to nerf, also in Operations, is the rewards people get who go in, do some damage early, die, and let the rest of the team win the match. Those get far more than they deserve. Shame WG prefers to reward failure, and not reward success too much.

Alas, the changes from yesterday to today are really disheartening for me. No more AsB, and not even a regular battle pass (is that gone for good now too?) and instead that godawful carrier event. I am not very interested in CV in general, and the other rewards are also pretty crappy. Those Wings of Freedom containers are really a joke for me. I have all the ships already except Hornet. Well, that wouldn't be so bad if there was compensation as it used to be (dubs if you already got the ships), but now you get 32K Free XP (which amounts to something like 8 blue freeXP boosters to me) which I find a slap in the face and makes the containers almost worthless. They could at least remove the fkn camos and freeXP from the second category so we would get guaranteed boosters.

Anyway, I digressed. I really would like AsB back, with not many changes. I know it was a bit easy for secondary BBs and too hard for non-large cruisers without smoke, but I don't see how to fix that without making it less fun, because to me a large part of the fun in AsB was that it mostly took place at brawling ranges. Whereas a large part of why PvP is unfun is that it mostly takes place at sniping ranges.

Edited by Kruzenstern
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kruzenstern said:

What they really need to nerf, also in Operations, is the rewards people get who go in, do some damage early, die, and let the rest of the team win the match. Those get far more than they deserve. Shame WG prefers to reward failure, and not reward success too much.

I don't think you understand how rewards work.  It's what you do, not when you do it.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Base_Earnings

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I don't think you understand how rewards work.  It's what you do, not when you do it.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Base_Earnings

Alas, Alas Babylon........  The discussion that implodes life on Earth as we know it....  Just had an Operations match with a Mainz driver whom did exactly ^^^^^ that.  In fact, not one greedy Mainz driver but three greedy Cruiser drivers and guess what......    We lost that match.

I think the point that @Kruzenstern was making is that those whom stick out the match and by sheer effort and skill pull out a win, should be rewarded for that effort....  I know, that sounds silly but, I hate matches where players come in, farm/die and then flick the finger at the rest of us as they start a new match......

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Asym said:

Alas, Alas Babylon........  The discussion that implodes life on Earth as we know it....  Just had an Operations match with a Mainz driver whom did exactly ^^^^^ that.  In fact, not one greedy Mainz driver but three greedy Cruiser drivers and guess what......    We lost that match.

I think the point that @Kruzenstern was making is that those whom stick out the match and by sheer effort and skill pull out a win, should be rewarded for that effort....  I know, that sounds silly but, I hate matches where players come in, farm/die and then flick the finger at the rest of us as they start a new match......

Yes, that's the paradox I sometimes face when giving compliments too. Who deserves them most? The one at the top of the list, but if they've been sunk and the only remaining player at the end was the one at the very tail end of the roster... didn't necessarily do much but by staying alive they made maybe the biggest difference in terms of the outcome.

• Like 1

Yah, I hear you.  But how on Earth would you automate that?

12 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Yah, I hear you.  But how on Earth would you automate that?

It's early AM here and I'm not all here yet......automate what>?

20 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Yes, that's the paradox I sometimes face when giving compliments too. Who deserves them most? The one at the top of the list, but if they've been sunk and the only remaining player at the end was the one at the very tail end of the roster... didn't necessarily do much but by staying alive they made maybe the biggest difference in terms of the outcome.

Well the thing that really irks me is the people at the bottom of the list still getting too much. Someone who goes yolo in a DD and dies against the first spawn but gets his torps in for some 50K damage contributes more or less nothing to the team effort (the first spawns are easy in all operations), but in the end is credited with 700-800 XP. The guy that tried hard in a shitty ship, tanks, survives and does maybe only 100K damage but does that when it counts gets 900. Even if you do basically nothing you still get 200+ base XP. That is something I don't like. But WG of course does, because regrettably underperfomers are their primary customer.

I can tell from some of my CV attempts. CVs are not optimal for Ops, and I am bad at CVs, so I have had some really shitty results, but never really shitty rewards in a win.

In Operations there could actually be an easy fix for this: Since basically all Operations get harder the longer they progress, the later spawns could be more rewarding than the first ones. And on that note, transport ships are far too rewarding as well.

Edited by Kruzenstern
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Asym said:

Players who snatch victory from the jaws of defeat are rewarded, intangibly.  
They gain a measure of personal satisfaction, some "street cred" and a memorable experience.

The game assigns rewards objectively, according to the criteria mentioned by @iDuckman in the linked article, provided earlier.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

They gain a measure of personal satisfaction, some "street cred" and a memorable experience.

The game assigns rewards objectively, according to the criteria mentioned by @iDuckman in the linked article, provided earlier.

Those are rare and precious moments.

Strangely, they seem much rarer than having teams that snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

2 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Those are rare and precious moments.

Strangely, they seem much rarer than having teams that snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Well ...
KillBillYouDidntThinkitwasgonnabethateasydidyou_meme_03-20-2023_.thumb.jpg.9728fdfa911c8bd5ff7a58d234254dbb.jpg  

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266697/

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Ahhhhhhhh....sigh.  Who really cares?  And yes, the game rewards even selfish behaviors more than team efforts that simply couldn't be calculated.

I stopped in to check the mail.....