Military News & Naval History Hangout

iDuckman

A friend of mine sent me this WW II photo of Texas underway, I think it really shows off her AA armament 

IMG_6298.jpeg

• Like 5

This guy is amazing !  (Well, the Fat Electrician too, but the guy he's talking about.)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

"Never underestimate an old man in a young man's game."

Be sure that watch the "commercial".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

This one was really good.  Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Unfortunately, SAMs ruled the roost where the air war in Vietnam was concerned and eventually more F4s were shot down than any other US fixed-wing aircraft (533 combat, 156 non combat losses). Conversely, 842 "Loaches" (OH-6 Cayuse observational helicopters) were lost). And a massive 3,254 Hueys (Bell UH-1 Iroquois utility helicopters) were lost.

https://mitchellaerospacepower.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/a2dd91_80482dc4e2994350a59ec3b4bdb463e1.pdf

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Unfortunately, SAMs ruled the roost where the air war in Vietnam was concerned and eventually more F4s were shot down than any other US fixed-wing aircraft (533 combat, 156 non combat losses). Conversely, 842 "Loaches" (OH-6 Cayuse observational helicopters) were lost). And a massive 3,254 Hueys (Bell UH-1 Iroquois utility helicopters) were lost.

https://mitchellaerospacepower.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/a2dd91_80482dc4e2994350a59ec3b4bdb463e1.pdf

The video made mention of the restricted air corridor and rules of engagement, imposed by USA politicians, which allowed North Vietnam to leverage their anti-aircraft assetts against US aircraft.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The video made mention of the restricted air corridor and rules of engagement, imposed by USA politicians, which allowed North Vietnam to leverage their anti-aircraft assetts against US aircraft.

And kept those AA assets alive since otherwise we would have bombed the ship out of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

When an Army unit is accepted by Marines into the Corps, you know it's something special.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

When an Army unit is accepted by Marines into the Corps, you know it's something special.

+1

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The 11th Airborne.  Wait, who?  You sure that isn't a typo? 
No, the only airborne division in the Pacific theater.  I never heard of them either.

Watch all the way through.  There's some good stuff at the end.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, iDuckman said:

No, the only airborne division in the Pacific theater.  I never heard of them either.

"The Impatient Virgin" = LOL  😄 

Edited to add:  That "facepalm moment" when she asks, "Are you a Marine?"  😄 

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, iDuckman said:

The US Marines had a company of Paratroopers they had trained at Fort Benning for the Invasion of Iwo....  I knew one of them cause he lived down the street....  They were all set and, if I understand the confusion of that time, they weren't used....   So, there were "Airborne" Marines... 

I was in an Airborne Unit and loved every minute of Jumping out a perfectly good plane....  I posted a picture for Happa when he was a CM for veterans day.  I asked if anyone could identify the camo I was wearing and no one could guess !!!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Asym said:

The US Marines had a company of Paratroopers they had trained at Fort Benning for the Invasion of Iwo....  I knew one of them cause he lived down the street....  They were all set and, if I understand the confusion of that time, they weren't used....   So, there were "Airborne" Marines... 

I was in an Airborne Unit and loved every minute of Jumping out a perfectly good plane....  I posted a picture for Happa when he was a CM for veterans day.  I asked if anyone could identify the camo I was wearing and no one could guess !!!

I served with a Marine that was authorized to wear "jump wings".
While we were in a Motor Transport Unit, he had been previously in a unit that provided him with access to parachute training and he earned his insignia.
So, yeah, jump-training was still happening in the USMC during my service.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 7:22 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

I served with a Marine that was authorized to wear "jump wings".
While we were in a Motor Transport Unit, he had been previously in a unit that provided him with access to parachute training and he earned his insignia.
So, yeah, jump-training was still happening in the USMC during my service.

I was Army but roomed with 3 Marines at jump school in the late 80's.  Memorable experience.  One of them, directly in front of me in line, slipped going out the door and did a 3/4 spin toward the tail of the C-130, putting the static line behind his neck and under his helmet.  I thought for sure I'd see him dead on the drop zone, but he only ended up with a bad burn on his neck and lost his helmet, lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Doom Turtle anyone?

If you have watched The Mighty Jingles then you've likely seen the T-28 in action and asked, "Why?" besides asking, "How dies this thing ever die?"  Well..

Btw, here's a video of it being delivered with its outer tracks off, then reassembled.

I can hear you saying, "There's got to be a better way."

• Like 2

Got to drive by USS Alabama today. IMG_5315.thumb.jpeg.93f80e2ec8babd72e7feef6eb16d5bd6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Type_93 said:

Got to drive by USS Alabama today. IMG_5315.thumb.jpeg.93f80e2ec8babd72e7feef6eb16d5bd6.jpeg

Be sure to take a day and visit.

36 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Be sure to take a day and visit.

I would love to, but I got 3 weeks worth of work to get done in 7 days.  Ain’t no rest for the wicked.  

On 2/23/2024 at 6:25 PM, DDG44_Vet said:

A friend of mine sent me this WW II photo of Texas underway, I think it really shows off her AA armament 

IMG_6298.jpeg

"How many anti-aircraft guns you want?"

"Yes."

Anyway:

1*RjFK_7lJT5tVpDvTrjR5aQ.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Think this is a Conte Di Cavour Refitted BB? 

Screenshot_20240527-004630.jpg

• Like 1

This is an older one, but worth the view

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 2:28 AM, 27th_February1942 said:

Think this is a Conte Di Cavour Refitted BB? 

Screenshot_20240527-004630.jpg

Definitely looks that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Top of the fire control station for USS Maine’s forward turret, Key West, FL

IMG_0300.jpeg

• Like 2