Military News & Naval History Hangout

iDuckman

7 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

If I infer correctly from your post, one of the concerns is that using expensive missiles to fight opponents who are using less-expensive munitions results in the expensive-munition-using-nation running out of cash sooner?

Which provides the lower-tech & lower-budget nation with an opportunity to claim a "victory" of sorts if they succeed in getting the higher-tech nation to leave the battlefield due to a lack of supplies, perhaps?

No, not really.  First, Houthi's are not using dumb weapons.  Theirs are pretty good.  Second, USN avoids AA defenses by using standoff, so dumb weapons again decent AAA is not really an option.  Third, CV mags are deep, and DDGs can rotate out for reload.

Lastly, Houthis will claim victory in any case.

2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

No, not really.  First, Houthi's are not using dumb weapons.  Theirs are pretty good.  Second, USN avoids AA defenses by using standoff, so dumb weapons again decent AAA is not really an option.  Third, CV mags are deep, and DDGs can rotate out for reload.

Lastly, Houthis will claim victory in any case.

Hmmm.  🤔

My Dad was a Navy corpsman for the Marines in WW2.  Fortunately he never had to deploy.  Nevertheless, I have a soft spot for Doc.  This is a very early Fat Electrician video.

lol  I remember him telling me that his father said he should join the Navy because "you'll get three hot meals a day and a bed with a roof instead of sleeping in a mudhole."  Sound advice, but pre-meds beware!  Otoh, it's how he met my mother.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

God bless you Gunny.  Wait for it.

👍👍

My Dad never had any complaints about Army food, having had grown up on a sharecropper's farm plot during the Great Depression and during WWII rationing. When he was growing up his family only ate what they could raise or grow and the only vitamins they had came from roadside "greens" that they would go out and pick. Although it was enough to survive on, it wasn't really enough and a lot of it was burned up when Dad was out picking cotton, plowing with the mules, or bailing hay. When my mom first started dating Dad in high school she was taller than he was and she was 5'2" tall. The fatigues Dad was issued in Basic fit me when I was in the 8th grade. At the end of his service, Dad was 6'2" tall.

• Like 3

Military Medical Miracles.

In Henry V Shakespeare glosses over this incident, but OMG.

Btw, I think the arrow angles that they're demonstrating would have been much steeper.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I think the arrow angles that they're demonstrating would have been much steeper.

I'd say that Henry was probably looking up and watching the arrows come in when he was hit. Harry Hotspur probably was doing the same thing but he wasn't so lucky. A common soldier was probably trained to duck his head and raise his shield when the arrows came in but "nobility" was wont to do their own thing.

Henry_Hotspur_Percy.jpg

• Like 2

WW2 Plasma and Blood Technology

Much of our modern capability to transport blood and plasma over long distances and utilize it in "field conditions" was developed during the WW-II era.

I first learned of this while reading a book about Nurses serving during WW-II.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

WW2 Plasma and Blood Technology

Good video.

Since hemorrhage is probably the primary cause of preventable death on the battlefield and in many civilian shootings, stabbings, and automobile accidents too, it would be great if medics could carry around a synthetic substitute for whole blood. However, as far as I know, nothing like this has yet to be developed to the extent that it could be used outside of a controlled laboratory setting.

Fresh, warm, whole blood, right out of the vein, is the best blood replacement but not used in civilian life due to the time it takes for type-matching and disease testing. However, with US soldiers, who are all blood typed and of an immunized and disease-tested subset of the population, the negative effects of fresh whole blood are less of an issue and every healthy soldier becomes a potential walking and talking bottle of blood that can be administered on demand. The last I heard this has come very close to being approved by the US military, if it already hasn't.

True story:

I once got dropped off by myself to track down and treat a stabbing victim while my unit and the other paramedic went on to a shooting call that was happening at the same time. I tracked my patient down an alley by following her blood spoor while being acutely aware that I was alone in a dark alley in a bad area of Kansas City in the middle of the night myself.

I found her and got the bleeding at least slowed down and a liter of saline going and then had to carry her to the other end of the alley to meet a private ambulance that I'd called in for transport. She had lost so much blood that she was gray. I've never seen a gray black person before or since. She was, as the saying goes, "circling the drain."

In the private ambulance I got her on O2 and another IV going and also into a pair of MAST trousers, which were supposed to help push blood from the legs back into the rest of the body but have now been found to cause more problems than they were meant to alleviate and are not used much anymore. However, in her case, as she had literally been sliced open from stem to stern, the pressure on her legs and abdomen helped to further staunch the bleeding.

At the hospital, we got her infused with packed red blood cells and the transformation was amazing. It will be even more amazing once medical technology has developed an oxygen transport molecule that can be stored indefinitely for use in field infusions. If you are biochemist and want a Nobel Prize in medicine then get to work.

By the time my unit had shown up with their patient and I'd completed the paperwork, she was awake, alert, and even joking a bit with the nurses. She had to have several dozen staples and sutures to close her wounds but made a full recovery. That was one of my more memorable saves. Usually when they were that far gone they were too far gone.  

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I'd say that Henry was probably looking up and watching the arrows come in when he was hit.

They were worried, though, that the arrow was lodged against the spine.  Cervical spine ends at the skull so the tip must have protruded below the skull.

@Ensign Cthulhu(he's a pathologist)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

They were worried, though, that the arrow was lodged against the spine.  Cervical spine ends at the skull so the tip must have protruded below the skull.

All of my pathology experience with penetrating head wounds is with firearms. I couldn't confidently tell you how an arrow from that era might behave.

From first principles, if struck from the front, an arrow that didn't actually pass through the brain could probably only end up in a paraspinal location if it went downward through the maxillary sinuses or the mouth. The shot drawn in this picture...

Henry_Hotspur_Percy.jpg

... is going through the cerebral cortex, likely frontal-parietal-occipital. Chances are the lowest it will go is to skirt the top of the cerebellum. The chances of that ending up in a paraspinal location is pretty low. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Untitled.jpg

credit: http://meanderingthroughtime.weebly.com/uploads/3/7/6/3/37634413/1800281-842096269207272-1980610422173193715-n-1.jpg

Longbows were probably fired from various distances. The maximum range of a 150-pound draw weight English battle bow with a heavy battle arrow has been tested. "A 150 lbf (667 N) Mary Rose replica longbow was able to shoot a 1.89 oz (53.6 g) arrow 359 yd (328 m) and a 3.38 oz (95.9 g) arrow a distance of 273.3 yd (249.9 m)." At this maximum distance the angle of release and impingement would be around 45 degrees. However, longbows were sometimes fired at much shorter distances in pike and bow formations, oftentimes point-plank ranges if the old tapestries are correct. These same formations were used well into the age of firearms with musketry replacing bows.

089-the-english-longbow.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 3

By the way, those long lances weren't just for show. If your lance was longer than an infantryman's pike or bayoneted musket you could kill him before he could reach you or your horse. Lancers were much feared on the battlefield, even into the early 1800s.

lancer0005aweb.jpg

• Like 3

The image seems a reasonable approximation.  You'd think that if the arrow had entered the mouth the doctor would have noted such.  I'd like to read his notes.

And exhume Harry's skull.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

The image seems a reasonable approximation.  You'd think that if the arrow had entered the mouth the doctor would have noted such.  I'd like to read his notes.

And exhume Harry's skull.

The arrow appears to have gone through the maxillary sinus. This is a relatively weak area of the skull below the "cheekbone" and above the upper jaw.

The doctor's report states that the prince was "struck in the face with an arrow beside the nose on the left side."

Untitled.jpg

image source:

http://radiologykey.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/B9781455740772000179_f017-011-9781455740772.jpg

a33bef8a191f09cdf6956de2b01c49a1.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Red Ramage on a rampage! 

I'll try to find the story of of BuOrd and the Mk.14 torpedo.

Ah yes.  The real wonder is that no one was hung for this.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 4

An interesting video about a "hidden" asset of the F-14.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 5:12 PM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

All of my pathology experience with penetrating head wounds is with firearms. I couldn't confidently tell you how an arrow from that era might behave.

From first principles, if struck from the front, an arrow that didn't actually pass through the brain could probably only end up in a paraspinal location if it went downward through the maxillary sinuses or the mouth. The shot drawn in this picture...

Henry_Hotspur_Percy.jpg

... is going through the cerebral cortex, likely frontal-parietal-occipital. Chances are the lowest it will go is to skirt the top of the cerebellum. The chances of that ending up in a paraspinal location is pretty low. 

On 2/1/2024 at 5:13 PM, Snargfargle said:

Yep, looks like the maxillary sinus will do nicely. Just a few millimetres more will see it into the spinal cord above C1 (first cervical vertebra) and there go the respiratory muscles. "C 3-4-5 keeps the diaphragm alive."

On 2/2/2024 at 2:24 AM, Snargfargle said:

The doctor's report states that the prince was "struck in the face with an arrow beside the nose on the left side."

Confirms that the gloriously detailed picture of a knight receiving an arrow to the head above the eyes is sadly flawed! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Confirms that the gloriously detailed picture of a knight receiving an arrow to the head above the eyes is sadly flawed! 

I don't think that was Henry V, but his opponent.

4 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

An interesting video about a "hidden" asset of the F-14.

Wow.  Does that bring back memories!  Not the specific projects so much as the tech era and the system architectures.  Now it's all on silicon.  R&D on "bubble memory" for these flight systems.  Developing PCBs to carry ICs with discrete logic components.  Bootstrapping the new mini-computers with paper tape.  After I started programming, even binary.  (We had a saying, "Real programmers work right down on the metal" - mostly for device control.) 

Stop!  I won't go into detail on my early CV.  It just takes me back.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Bootstrapping the new mini-computers with paper tape. 

My Grade 1 classroom had a whole bunch of obsolete punch-cards to use for crafts and such. Makes me wonder in retrospect what might have been on them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Stop!  I won't go into detail on my early CV.  It just takes me back.  

As somebody who worked in an electronic and display manufacturing plant, (~5 years on ICT's, PTH machnes and various functional test processes, tho I managed tp avoid the SMT section 🙂)  it does bring back memories.( if you own a DeLonghi coffe somethin' there is a very good chance that passed close by me)

4 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

My Grade 1 classroom had a whole bunch of obsolete punch-cards to use for crafts and such. Makes me wonder in retrospect what might have been on them. 

When I first started grad school we were still using punch cards to key in our data. Once you had the cards punched, you then had to carry them over to the computing center so that they could read them into the mainframe and transfer them to tape.

Later, we got a mainframe terminal in each of the departments but you still had to send a request to the computing center for someone to physically go over to the data stacks and mount your tape on the machine before you could use your data.

This also applied to the museum's specimen catalogs, which were just beginning to be transferred from paper ledgers to digital data when I showed up. For about six months I had a student workers keying in data, while I checked the printouts against the physical catalogs and marked the errors. It was slow going because there was only one terminal in the department and for some strange reason the undergraduate students didn't want to work at night. Then, one day I came into my office to find a bunch of boxes and a note from the museum director that said "This mainframe mess is too slow, write us a database application for this IBM computer," but that's another story.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

( if you own a DeLonghi coffee somethin' there is a very good chance that passed close by me)

There was a recent story about a cyberattack mediated through "smart toothbrushes". I don't want to know what an "intelligent" coffee machine could do. 😈 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2