Military News & Naval History Hangout

iDuckman

12 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Yeah.  There was a time when the Navy could design and build its own ships.  No more.

Who designed the Virginia's?

16 hours ago, Arcusaesopi said:

Cute, but the BRAC was started under Clinton and cut the Navy’s repair facilities by half.  

As Eisenhower warned to beware the military industrial complex, don’t make the mistake of attributing it to any one administration… 

Bush still could have cancelled them like Obama cancelled further F-22 production.

3 hours ago, Crokodone said:

Who designed the Virginia's?

Bush still could have cancelled them like Obama cancelled further F-22 production.

1) General Dynamics Electric Boat

2) Stay away from that cool-aid... military spending is almost purely political...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Arcusaesopi said:

1) General Dynamics Electric Boat

2) Stay away from that cool-aid... military spending is almost purely political...

Regarding military spending, "Six Frigates" by Ian W. Toll and "Revolt of the Admirals" by Steven S. Barlow are very good reads regarding that point.

Got a couple of naval pictures on my arrival into Philly airport. 
New Jersey and some decommissioned ships it looks like. IMG_4356.thumb.jpeg.d7b877fc5bd4a34fe6d7a24a3e55e34d.jpegIMG_4357.thumb.jpeg.144c40f4ae3d6a99c170d32a580ed261.jpegIMG_4359.thumb.jpeg.16bcce30d96f5166d973b4a797473a0d.jpeg

• Like 5

On 10/23/2023 at 6:30 PM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

One suspects they were going for light weight and skimped on the strength calculations. 

They simply didn't know the "Riddle of Steel...." 

Coming from an area known for making Steel, to include the 12-through 16 inch Naval guns; the citadel armors; the plate Armors and they had an entire shipyard as well;  what, we saw during the Washington Treaty era wasn't bad steel........it was "political steel" that was very quickly produced and sent out.... It lacked what the Riddle of Steel needed:  a reason to overcome an enemy....

When WW2 was gearing up, Steel Manufacturing went military and the quality was even better than the I-beam they were producing.  Some of the finest steel(s) they ever produced....  The 17" armored conning tower is of that steel....as are the guns, and the riddle of steel made itself known to those whom served.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OK, saw this pic on the internet.  The orange floats? at the stern of this US CV caught my eye.  Anyone have any idea what they are/for??

image.thumb.png.99a97a90e0679c034a5b394f7c5c5c5e.png

Edited by Slammer58
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Slammer58 said:

OK, saw this pic on the internet.  The orange floats? at the stern of this US CV caught my eye.  Anyone have any idea what they are/for??

Looks like a cargo ship, alongside the CV.
If it is an oil tanker, then possibly the orange is a deployable floating barrier, also known as a spill containment boom, to contain an oil spill if one happens during transfer of fuel?
If so, then the boom is either being prepared for deployment around the ships or is being recovered?

Edit:  Or is it merely a floating platform to facilitate transfer of cargo?

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, HogHammer said:

@Slammer58, do you perhaps still have/know the site's internet address?

I saw the photo over on foxnews.com, didn't save the link.

• Like 1

A former Marine over on grogheads said:

"It's called a bresting barge. It's for docking smaller vessels."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 11/3/2023 at 5:24 PM, Slammer58 said:

It's a modular float that can be built (put together) in most any size.  They're used for staging materials that need to be transferred, for support equipment that doesn't need to take up deck space (welders, generators or ventilators, etc), or for whatever else you need temporary semi-dry space on the water.

They're fairly ubiquitous around (active) shipyards.

• Like 6

Colonel Rocky Gannon (USAF Retired)

My little sister moved to Darlington, South Carolina in August of this year.
Which means I moved my little sister to Darlington, South Carolina in August of this year. Lol,😄 No worries though🙂. She’s my baby sister so I have no choice and wouldn’t have it any other way.

So, when I was down there, I was putting up a mailbox for her and some of her neighbors walked up and introduced themselves. And while conversing they told me about the elderly gentleman who lived across the street.  I didn’t get a chance to meet him but wished I would have. I would have walked up and knocked on his door. (He has a personal caretaker) but, the neighbors said that he wasn’t home and wouldn’t be for a couple of weeks. So, I didn’t get to meet him.

He has 50 military awards and decorations, including the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star, the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry and 10 Air Medals. He flew as a combat pilot in World War II, Korea, Belgian Congo and 387 combat missions in Vietnam. An amazing hero. I wish I could have met him just to say  -Thank You-

“In 1980, Colonel Gannon retired from the U.S. Air Force after 37 years of active duty. During that time, he flew more than 6,000 hours in 34 different types of aircraft, from bombers to transports and gliders to fighters.”

https://www.colrockygannon.com

My sister got to meet him at this recent unveiling ceremony.image.thumb.jpeg.0212f9af4e49a73d3dd09adb0e38f231.jpeg

Rocky003.thumb.jpg.b29cb3f53ab01d0f30951a3bb74efc13.jpg

Anyone want to know what a hero looks like? 

Edited by Malum0ne
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone following the restoration of the battleship Texas has made some remarkable progress.  Some of the pictures of the work they have done are amazing.

News | Battleship Texas Foundation

Could post some here, but there are way too many in their news section.

By the way, the original cost to build the Texas was $5,830,000 (1)

(1)    Battleship Texas (BB-35) Facts | World War 2 Facts

Edited by SinkShips_2021
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The SS United States is historic because it is the largest ocean liner ever constructed entirely in the United States and still holds the record for the fastest crossing of the Atlantic by any ocean liner. It could make 38 knots. While not a Navy ship per se, the SS United States had a long career transporting military families to and from Europe. My mother sailed to Europe on it when my dad was stationed in Germany in the 1950s.  It now rests at a dock in Philadelphia, rusting away, though tentative plans are to convert it into a floating hotel.

StateLibQld_1_169487_United_States_(ship).thumb.jpg.271a8fe4214d3ae8c3b0bf1576ee8e97.jpg

While my mom was sailing to Europe in comfort on an ocean liner, this was the ship that my dad sailed on, the USNS General Alexander M. Patch (T-AP-122), Launched 22 April 1944. He said that his entire armor unit was seasick during the voyage over. When the time came for them to come home and muster out, he thought that the Army would surely fly them back. No such luck, the Patch was a-waitin' for them.

Ship_-_D07265_large.webp.b4c8521d03c283f44072ac254ea4979c.webp

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

[stuff]

Snarglefarg !!  Where you been boy?  It's way too long. 

Still playing? or working on your lurking skills?

1 hour ago, DDG44_Vet said:

USS Carney is spending a lot of time at GQ and Condition III in the Red Sea this Christmas season, https://news.usni.org/2023/12/03/carney-shoots-down-two-drones-in-red-sea. Keeping the crew in my thoughts and prayers that all return safe 🫡

I looked at a couple of similar articles about the incident(s), this morning.

3 commercial ships hit by missiles in Houthi attack in Red Sea, US warship downs 3 drones
https://www.wmur.com/article/pentagon-us-warship-under-attack-in-the-red-sea/46019386

3 commercial ships hit by missiles in Houthi attack in Red Sea, US warship downs 3 drones
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pentagon-says-us-warship-multiple-155851709.html

• Like 1