HSF Pricing and wisdom of choices... (Probably of most use to newbies)

Verblonde

16 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Nope, although I think I may have misunderstood the submarine (at periscope depth) - ship spotting distances. Thanks for the explanation of the latter.

No change to my position though due to the fact that submarines can dive and entirely escape detection, while DDs can't. The advantage at the edge of contact is still with the submarines, assuming the rest of the team is awake - all that giving me a better understanding of the submarine spotting mechanics does is make the distances smaller.

Critically smaller.  I've been on both ends of it, and that kind of encounter is why running at Periscope Depth can be so dangerous to a Sub when it doesn't know where all the enemy Subs and DDs are.  Yes, the Sub can dive, but this doesn't mean they cannot be detected, just that the ranges go down.  It's also not instantaneous, which means it can't wait till its about to be detected or it most likely won't avoid being seen.  A DD can drop smoke and likewise remove themselves from detection unless the enemy is very close, or is equipped to spot past its smoke, much like a DD with Hydro can spot past a Sub's own concealment mechanic.  Also of note, a Sub not at full Submerged depth will be spotted at 2km, regardless of any other considerations, so not seeing a DD until it is at 2.5km means you are almost certainly not getting away without a fight.

On the flip side, a Sub can use its surface detection consumable to boost its spotting while submerged, but that's a limited use item, only lasts a limited time, and only gives snapshots of surfaced/periscope depth enemy every 5-10 seconds.  If the Sub doesn't wait to spot the enemy DD before using it, it is gambling there is a DD in range to spot rather than wasting the consumable when it might need it later.  If it does wait to spot the enemy DD, the consumable really won't help much.  

But yeah, getting a good understanding of both the advantages and disadvantages Subs operate in is a very good goal, both in operating them and in fighting them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Not with the standard guns, no, but the 100mm option gives Harekaze a bit of bite that's not otherwise there. 

Agreed, which is why I like the Harekaze so much.  It has the option for the rapid fire guns of an Akizuki -and- the torpedo armament of a Kagero.  The only downside is finding a commander with the skills to make both shine at the same time.  Good thing it's a Premium/Special.

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

so why Harekaze is good anyway?

Stealth, torps, multiple hull options which offer choice of guns, pretty good AA for a DD in one of the hull options, and the awesome cat themed camo.
She is reasonably nimble and has an average top-speed.
On her own merits, I feel the HSF Harekaze is a gud bote.  🙂 

Edited to add:  https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:HSF_Harekaze

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

10 hours ago, Jakob Knight said:

Well, here's a question.  Is there any other IJN DD with hydro?  If a player was maining IJN and wanted a Sub hunter, is there another option?  

The HSF Harekaze-II has the hydro-acoustic search consumable.  The HSF Harekaze does not.
As far as I know, only the HSF Harekaze-II is a Japanese DD with hydro.