A lovely post from Reddit

Andrewbassg

I can empathize with the Reddit user. Aircraft Carriers, especially those played by competent players, are a pain to deal with. But the same can be said for all ship types. 

I have been on the receiving end of ordnance from CVs and their seemingly endless supply of planes, and I have also destroyed many aircraft carriers. 

The best we can do is to adapt to the situation, and learn from it, and hopefully come out better than before. After all, at the end of the day, aircraft carriers are warships too.

• Like 3

When people have to curse like a drunken sailor to make a point I just ignore them as a rule. I did respond in the thread but find OP way over the top and their point could have been made without all the unnecessary cussing. Just no need of it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

When people have to curse like a drunken sailor to make a point I just ignore them as a rule. I did respond in the thread but find OP way over the top and their point could have been made without all the unnecessary cussing. Just no need of it.

+1!

But also had to troll the OP just a bid "silver ranked - three monts of CV_free gaming, there ya' go....."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

+1!

But also had to troll the OP just a bid "silver ranked - three monts of CV_free gaming, there ya' go....."

I told them play Co-op where bot CV's aren't a threat just damage piñatas or play T1 and T2 Randoms. I got downvoted. Shocker. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

silver ranked - three monts of CV_free gaming, there ya' go.

Yeeah not exactly coz Colossus exist. kinda next best thing

2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

One has to appreciate the passion 😛

3 hours ago, Frostbow said:

After all, at the end of the day, aircraft carriers are warships too

Hmmm... I prefer the term flyin monke cages....😜

Edited by Andrewbassg

2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

YAWN_boringtopic_meme_12-18-2022_.thumb.jpg.fcb387b6729626ae7e321eb46292b1eb.jpg

Well.... the EU Cv thread had like well over 1000 pages and was goin for almost to the end soo....

p.s this ssh........hkm.......never gets old

Otherwise. the post is about the OP's.... passion 😁 about the subject . Tho not denying, I do share his passion :xD

Edited by Andrewbassg

8 hours ago, Frostbow said:

Aircraft Carriers, especially those played by competent players, are a pain to deal with. But the same can be said for all ship types.

This.

Last I checked (when I was still playing Randoms), I was merely 'average'; despite that, with a suitably sneaky DD I could wreak havoc on large numbers of typical players (naturally, the proper players on here would still take me to the cleaners!). Although the opposition has plenty of radars and hydro, objectively, I have to accept that CVs are probably a necessary way of balancing out some of the stuff that circa 5.5 km DDs can potentially do.

It's also worth recalling that CVs have - I think - been in the game from the beginning, albeit their form has changed (from RTS to what we have now); it's not like anyone started playing, invested time (and perhaps money), and then had CVs dropped on them.

Whilst I cheerfully admit, I generally prefer games without CVs in them, I'm not nearly as vehemently opposed to their presence as I am to SSs, as the latter upset a semi-stable gaming ecosystem, of which the former have always been a part.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

This.

Last I checked (when I was still playing Randoms), I was merely 'average'; despite that, with a suitably sneaky DD I could wreak havoc on large numbers of typical players (naturally, the proper players on here would still take me to the cleaners!). Although the opposition has plenty of radars and hydro, objectively, I have to accept that CVs are probably a necessary way of balancing out some of the stuff that circa 5.5 km DDs can potentially do.

It's also worth recalling that CVs have - I think - been in the game from the beginning, albeit their form has changed (from RTS to what we have now); it's not like anyone started playing, invested time (and perhaps money), and then had CVs dropped on them.

Whilst I cheerfully admit, I generally prefer games without CVs in them, I'm not nearly as vehemently opposed to their presence as I am to SSs, as the latter upset a semi-stable gaming ecosystem, of which the former have always been a part.

The subs are the equivalent of them first selling you patent leather shoes and then waxing the floors.

• Haha 2

I got into this game to play CVs...

...the RTS CVs...

...specifically the USN RTS CVs, with the air support builds.

I absolutely LOVED the team play that an RTS CV could bring to the table. Spotting damage? My bae. Shooting down planes? I love it. Protecting my teammates? Best thing ever.

But this all required a lot of skill to do, required WG to create a more creative rewards system than just 'more damage = more stuff', and utilized another UI that WG had to maintain.

Some facts about WG development:

1) They don't balance around ship performance or even player skill. They balance around popularity numbers.

Ship performance for RTS CVs, with the different squadron loadouts...was ALL OVER THE PLACE. You could put up monster damage and kill numbers in a strike heavy CV and be effective. You could also put up low damage numbers and also be effective by merely denying your opponent CV the chance to strike. Bonus points if you shoot down most of his planes...but you didn't even have to do that to win.

This meant that the RTS CV battles increasingly became a complicated squadron dance between the friendly and enemy fighters as each jockey for position to win the first fights. While this was happening, no damage was being done...but the impact of the match was being decided. Which leads us to...

2) WG rewards basically boil down to 'do damage = get rewarded'. Yet the primary focus of most CVs for up to and potentially over half the battle was focused on winning air superiority...which wasn't covered by the economy at all. Plus, the meta was slowly shifting to nearly everyone taking air support builds over strike...because it didn't matter if you had yuge strike potential if the enemy CV had more and better fighters than you. This further exacerbated the problems with the rewards structure.

WG developers HATE to do extra work...and trying to balance the rewards structure and the meta devolution was getting to be too much. Which leads us to...

3) The RTS user interface was almost an entirely separate interface than surface ships. This took a lot to maintain and WG didn't like maintaining it, as it took effort that could not be used in other places. As a result, the interface was glitchy and tempermental. It had exploits that skilled users could do to destroy those unaware or unskilled. Coupled with the above meta changes, a major skill gap was becoming a skill grand canyon. Those who enjoyed the exceptionally stressful and skill required to win gameplay kept playing. The VAST MAJORITY of players stopped playing CV and then began to actively hate CV players.

So...rather than spend a lot of effort to fix all of this...WG decided a clean slate rework was best.

They got rid of the ability to actively chase the enemy planes with your own fighters, because that messed with the rewards structure and was a factor in the skill gap. Instead preferring to make ALL CVs focus entirely on the damage race. They also significantly reduced anti-aircraft gun power, after already destroying the only real fleet defense weapon (actively controlled fighters)...in an effort to make CVs MORE powerful and get people to play them....in effect balancing by popularity.

As a result, CVs are just as broken as they were before...significantly easier to play (its the LOWEST stress ship to play now)...and conform much easier to WG's preferred rewards structure behavior.

WG sees the above sentence as a win / win / win.

The playerbase sees it differently. But, as we know, WG doesn't care what we think.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I don't have a problem with their presence, nor that they deal damage, even if Wargambling always maintained. that they "balance ships for 12v12" , ergo they have exactly zero place in ranked. Nor their meme worthy auto everything( lmao) or the fact they don't take module damage to their plane regen, even if everybody else ( even subs!!) does.

I have a big problem with their spotting. That is beyond dented and coupled with Wargambling tendency to favor the "big guns go boom ugh ugh" crowd  makes cruiser life VERY miserable.

9 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

WG sees the above sentence as a win / win / win.

The playerbase sees it differently. But, as we know, WG doesn't care what we think.

Yeah.....we know that Wedgie is full of it, they know that they are full of it and also that we know it.

I just loved the Op's sincere and passionate opinion.😊

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

I don't have a problem with their presence, nor that they deal damage, even if Wargambling always maintained. that they "balance ships for 12v12" , ergo they have exactly zero place in ranked. Nor their meme worthy auto everything( lmao) or the fact they don't take module damage to their plane regen, even if everybody else ( even subs!!) does.

I have a big problem with their spotting. That is beyond dented and coupled with Wargambling tendency to favor the "big guns go boom ugh ugh" crowd  makes cruiser life VERY miserable.

Eh.

The problem with spotting goes away beyond the air spotting issues.

IMO, that aspect of the game needs a major rework to make it more fun and balanced...but that's a lot of work and WG is allergic to work.

38 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

I have a big problem with their spotting.

Alas, I'm not convinced that WG care a great deal about this; the impression I get is that WG are actively trying to make playing a vision control game as hard as possible for anything that can't submerge that's stealthier than a modestly-sized continent.

I don't think it's terribly controversial to suggest that BBs are the most popular class, and we've all seen the complaints (usually from newbies) about getting torpedoed by 'invisible' DDs. Inferring that BBs are the most financially important class to WG, it's logical that they'd want to make their life as easy as possible - CV spotting is part of that.

It's just a shame that sneakier cruisers got caught in the crossfire.

46 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

Oh, I'm being careful with my limited supplies of upvotes etc. so:

image.thumb.png.d6e618ddbfaeb3063e4b10648ffb5f96.png

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Eh.

Well....even Ahskance admitted as being bad.

The problem with spotting goes away beyond the air spotting issues.

Hmmm.....  kinda disagree. This is an arcade game so a certain amount of silliness is expected, tho Wargambling is now making a sport out of it.

Part of the problem start with maps, ranges and line ups (12v12 when the maps were designed for 9v9) and some other stuff like stuffing the game with new ships and lines like there is no tomorrow...

...but that's a lot of work and WG is allergic to work.

Yes, with that I agree completely  😛

Edited by Andrewbassg

17 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Oh, I'm being careful with my limited supplies of upvotes etc. so:

Already out 🙂

nomoney.thumb.jpg.6f14966fbaba08d13560823c84ac04fe.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrewbassg said:

Yeah.....we know that Wedgie is full of it, they know that they are full of it and also that we know it.

I just loved the Op's sincere and passionate opinion.😊

I see you know your Solzhenitsyn.

16 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I see you know your Solzhenitsyn.

From former Warsaw Pact  so....

Bulgakov and an obscure ( internationally) HU writer Moldova Gyorgy have nailed very well the surreal  grotesque  realities of former red starred societies...

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

😊

Please quote the contents of reddit posts.  Like the old forum, reddit posts don't automatically expand.  (at least not for me)

17 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Please quote the contents of reddit posts.  Like the old forum, reddit posts don't automatically expand.  (at least not for me)

Yeah well.......that would instantly put me into.... boiling water 🙂 Too many........"truth" bombs of the f and s fame  🙂

Stil here's the link

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/15uyh2j/i_hate_that_there_isnt_a_single_gamemode_that/?utm_source=embedv2&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_content=post_title&embed_host_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.devstrike.net%2Findex.php

Edited by Andrewbassg

I agree with the OP about CV's they ruined this game and it's dying now, no one wants to play against the sky cancer.

• Bored 1

4 minutes ago, AdmiralMcintosh said:

I agree with the OP about CV's they ruined this game and it's dying now, no one wants to play against the sky cancer.

'No one' is hyperbole...

...some of us want a better balance...

...but it won't happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

F this F that F CV's F F F.... Get the point? 😂