Update 12.10 - Share Your Captain Builds

Admiral_Karasu

On 12/11/2023 at 7:57 AM, TimurGlazkov said:

How are you lads doing in Scharnhorst '43?

image.thumb.png.1ac635ff7b42373b3d08439848afba5c.png

I also basically use that build but I swap out the consumable captain skill and the 2p skill for AR, because AR is still one of the best skills in-game.

• 2 weeks later...

I think most of my build is probably quite common and same as most others use as well, but my Vampire II build I actually will try RPF/RL skill, because I think it could be a good way to hunt down enemy DDs and kill them since I have low conceal and the long range hydro/crawling smoke combo.

This would help me know exactly where a cap contesting DD are in the cap with me, and when I push him in my smoke it also helps me dodge his torps (knowing what direction they will appear from), and it would also help me hunt/kill surviving DD trying to flank around in the late game.

Usually I only use RPF/RL skill on my torp boats to stay outa bad gunfights but in this case I think it can be good as an offensive tool. The reason why I dont use this skill on my Sherman (whos also good at killing DDs) is his bad conceal (6.5 km) and I rather have "Main battery and AA Expert" for that 15+ km gun range.

My Vampire:

image.thumb.png.7352019ac25ac97ca23b63f34ce01528.png

Last 4 points will probably go into "Superintendent" and "Incoming fire alert". I also use the Special Smoke and hydro upgrades which gives me prolonged almost perfectly synced hydro/smoke duration.

image.png.6fa184e874b478c619983590826d4c05.png

My Sherman:

image.thumb.png.e9c5c07297c8fc571906220da00d6db4.png

Of course also running Halsey so when you get Confederate (which isn't uncommon in Sherman) youre SAP guns with some Adrenaline Rush gets a sub second reload and turns into Minigun from hell.

image.png.1146df3c53bb9cebae380f188ebbec9b.png

I also try a new setup with most of my T10 BBs as well. Loosing "Emergency Repair Expert" for the benefit of "Furious" which gives all BBs 10% faster reload every time youre ship is on fire, explained in PQ´s video below.

image.thumb.png.f59505e1ac0e4c79500b29be42394dcd.png

I think this can be very good, specially with British ships like Conqueror, Thunderer and St. Vincent who gets an extra heal for free when getting 2 kills and also another 10 % reload buff after getting "Witherer", which isn't that hard in these ships, using Cunninham captain. So, a potential 20% reload buff on ships like Thunderer and St.Vincent ..... YES PLEASE!!!

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Like 1

Nothing special... My Lutjens I use on my KM BBs for Operations / Asym. He's spec'd for Bismarck, but I play him with GK and Pom (Asym), Bismarck, Tirpitz, Odin and both Scharnhorsts in Operations. He does me just fine.

image.thumb.jpeg.d6c20e6d2907e423c60a03908b475080.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm looking for a solid secondary focused build for my Massachusetts and Georgia (21pt Halsey). This is for Operations (and Asym, while it lasts... otherwise Georgia only gets used in Halloween or the occasional COOP). Any recommendations?

1 hour ago, xamdam said:

I'm looking for a solid secondary focused build for my Massachusetts and Georgia (21pt Halsey). This is for Operations (and Asym, while it lasts... otherwise Georgia only gets used in Halloween or the occasional COOP). Any recommendations?

Tagging @Snargfargle, he just posted his Massachusetts/Halsey build in another thread.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, DDG44_Vet said:

Tagging @Snargfargle, he just posted his Massachusetts/Halsey build in another thread.

I use Halsey on my Georgia too, same secondary build. It's a lot of fun in Asyms.

t7amHl.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Snargfargle Thanks again. I actually went for something just a bit different but yes, the IFHE and Manuals are a must. For Ops / Asym at least.

I tested a few times before adding IFHE using full fire signals and then again with IFHE and NO fire signals and got similar results in the amount of fires set, as in about half. The outright damage IFHE gives more than compensates for the fire duration damage. Now things go pop around me port and starboard... lol 

Feels much better. Thanks again!

My slightly different selection.

image.thumb.jpeg.52f01f2412e60212e1e826c49e76a083.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.84a5e24993bb21f189dbb85e44a33738.jpeg

And a battle just now. Narai, staying center with the convoy...
image.thumb.jpeg.778aaf396d65d59034f40ad762708de8.jpeg

I'll take the eleven fires for the 14 kills. No transports were harmed in this Operation. No fire signals were burned.

Edited by xamdam
  • Like 1

Now if I could just get the shipyard to straighten out my main gun barrels... Maybe I got the Fall River versions, full of Pidgeon poo.

• Haha 1

Now I'm looking for a solid Montana build. Not necessarily PVE spec, but rather PVP (though I probably won't play it there much). I'll be using him on my Missouri and Alabama and Arizona in Asym and Operations, maybe... if it works out. Any suggestions?

18 hours ago, xamdam said:

Now I'm looking for a solid Montana build. Not necessarily PVE spec, but rather PVP (though I probably won't play it there much). I'll be using him on my Missouri and Alabama and Arizona in Asym and Operations, maybe... if it works out. Any suggestions?

I often pick fighter over spotter because it has faster cooldown, so I can spot over island more often when pushing or anchoring mid and late game.

If you can deal with the atrocious rudder shift, you can swap UU out for concealment mod.

image.thumb.png.179239616fa4e405943a8fda08326289.png

This build is less "solid" but it's fun:

On 12/21/2023 at 5:07 PM, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I also try a new setup with most of my T10 BBs as well. Loosing "Emergency Repair Expert" for the benefit of "Furious" which gives all BBs 10% faster reload every time youre ship is on fire, explained in PQ´s video below.

image.thumb.png.f59505e1ac0e4c79500b29be42394dcd.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the Sun Yat-SEN in a Santa create.  Have Za Zhenbing for a captain. Just looking it over looks like it would be worth specing into secondary's. What is a good build to run on the BB?

• Like 1

@mRex Welcome aboard!

As for the captain build, I got no clue myself. The Sun Yat-Sen is a Soyuz class ship but with a battlecruiser dispersion. Wiki will tell you the WG recommended choices, but before rushing to use those, you might want to hear from any players who have real experience with the ship first.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Sun_Yat-Sen

On 1/10/2024 at 1:55 AM, mRex said:

Just received the Sun Yat-SEN in a Santa create.  Have Za Zhenbing for a captain. Just looking it over looks like it would be worth specing into secondary's. What is a good build to run on the BB?

No, too little damage output potential and vulnerable citadel.

Bog-standard survival build, especially with Sa Zhenbing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 11:30 PM, DDG44_Vet said:

Thanks @xamdam, I was wondering what some of the latest Lutjens builds are. 

image.thumb.png.87e557da81d9c17170c28cc815832e9d.png

I do this for my Tirpitz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 8:01 PM, xamdam said:

image.thumb.png.603ed62e90dcc35a28d78fe4c399da77.png

• Like 3

On 12/29/2023 at 9:29 PM, xamdam said:

image.thumb.png.364c87bb583dc49d38942fed0ce97df8.png

Or 

image.png.18255938a2324b221bc193dc7599de97.png

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 6:55 AM, mRex said:

Eh not really worth it, they really bad hitting DPM. If I was forced into using a secondary build I'd do something like this.

image.png.24ae48239cac134bd897dde09b45a3df.png

Otherwise I'd do a normal build on her like this

image.png.bd9336b69c6ffcc6e2afc26d6f0442cf.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Respecced Zao for maximised asw duty down to even airstrike mod. 

It's kinda funny. Problem is still that nobody hits with the asw planes, I sure as hell can't predict which direction the thing is going to go in 15 seconds even when I see them. Mostly I've been killing them with guns because they surface for some reason when I use the subradar. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 1:24 PM, Itwastuesday said:

Respecced Zao for maximised asw duty down to even airstrike mod. 

It's kinda funny. Problem is still that nobody hits with the asw planes, I sure as hell can't predict which direction the thing is going to go in 15 seconds even when I see them. Mostly I've been killing them with guns because they surface for some reason when I use the subradar. 

You can sort of predict where it's going, unless it's stopped, but often the biggest problem is the lead. Those things move faster than your planes...

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

You can sort of predict where it's going, unless it's stopped, but often the biggest problem is the lead. Those things move faster than your planes...

Yeah, well, another aspect of this is that other people need to hit it too and they usually don't. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Yeah, well, another aspect of this is that other people need to hit it too and they usually don't. 

Often I'm playing on a team where instead of back up in any situation I hear people reaching for the popcorn.