Another sign of why WG shut forums down?

AdmiralThunder

We haven't seen this for a LONG time where only PVP qualifies for a special mission chain. Is this an "oops" or a sign maybe WG is going to be cutting back on PVE inclusion in stuff (been seeing more and more sub 12 players per side Random battles while Co-op seems to be going strong - are they paranoid - AGAIN - about people going to Co-op?. If either of the later I can see that as another reason they killed the forums so they can avoid the backlash they will get over it.

I mean yeah it is for a random draw for a T7 Premium ship. But we have had tons of similar things and PVE modes are always included. PVE qualified for T9 Somme event so why wouldn't it for a crappy T7? I mean the tasks really aren't even hard for PVP and the task rewards are crap. I don't see why this should not be for PVE as well? I missed that when opting in or wouldn't have bothered.

For now I will go with an "oops" but it bears watching to see if this has more meaning to it.

1.jpg

• Like 6

I saw the requirements and didn't even accept the mission because of them.

For a one in a million chance at a ship I don't want and some meh prizes? No thanks.

In all likelihood it probably is about encouraging the required game modes.

• Like 2

Just now, SolitudeFreak said:

I saw the requirements and didn't even accept the mission because of them.

For a one in a million chance at a ship I don't want and some meh prizes? No thanks.

In all likelihood it probably is about encouraging the required game modes.

So... PvP now requires 'encouraging'?

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral_Karasu said:

I myself am a PvE main, so am probably an outlier for such things. But it is possible many players use Co-op for missions simply to get them done faster, potentially affecting PvP queues.

It could be a test to see if such activities could be affected by mission directives/requirements. But I'm just guessing based on how they treated Asymmetric, as it did seem they wanted players out of that PvE instance when it wasn't prime time, even though there would have been no problem filling those queues in off hours on NA.

So I guess my point is PvP may require 'encouraging' for a certain type of player, namely one who might be partial to any mode, as long as they get the missions done as efficiently as possible.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

I myself am a PvE main, so am probably an outlier for such things. But it is possible many players use Co-op for missions simply to get them done faster, potentially affecting PvP queues.

It could be a test to see if such activities could be affected by mission directives/requirements. But I'm just guessing based on how they treated Asymmetric, as it did seem they wanted players out of that PvE instance when it wasn't prime time, even though there would have been no problem filling those queues in off hours on NA.

So I guess my point is PvP may require 'encouraging' for a certain type of player, namely one who might be partial to any mode, as long as they get the missions done as efficiently as possible.

Well, yes because the usual complaint on EU has always been that the missions cannot be done in coop or operations.

I've always said, the ONLY reason WG closed the forum was to avoid backlash.

As I've said before when the forum closed I had a look at Discord (as it seemed to be the only option) and it was like Speedy Gonzalez on some super high grade meth, stuff scrolling by so fast you can't even read it!!

If any of you guys use Discord - is there an area where posts can be seen for more than 5 seconds? I've no idea.

But for the first time in my 18,000 odd battles I've come across a mission chain I have NO chance of finishing - the Somme mission chain.

Yeah I'm a PvE main and maybe that's why or maybe, just maybe, WG wants me to buy a shed load of containers to complete the collection.

That aint happening, I don't spend ANY money on this game and wouldn't dream of it for a Jutland!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Capt_Kremenski said:

If any of you guys use Discord - is there an area where posts can be seen for more than 5 seconds? I've no idea.

Under game discussion forums, in a thread titled 'So can Discord function well as a forum?', things move at a relatively slow pace. It's the cooler general chat.

• Like 2

In my case it would require a little bit more than encouragement to get me to play randoms, "It's better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick!"... I'd argue the validity of that statement.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Well, yes because the usual complaint on EU has always been that the missions cannot be done in coop or operations.

In all fairness it depends on what the mission require in certain circumstances it easy to see why coop cant be included.

4 minutes ago, clammboy said:

In all fairness it depends on what the mission require in certain circumstances it easy to see why coop cant be included.

Well, in general terms, coop has sometimes been the better, sometimes the poorer choice. You basically needed to figured which mission would be easier and/or faster do in which mode. As well as which ship to use, that sometimes mattered just as much.

1 hour ago, Capt_Kremenski said:

But for the first time in my 18,000 odd battles I've come across a mission chain I have NO chance of finishing - the Somme mission chain.

Pretty much the same here. Mainly due to that 1.8 Million Spotting Damage road block that is keeping stage 4 locked out for me. I had the rest of the stuff done in 2 days but here we are over a week later and I am only at 1,213,659 AND I have played a butt load of CV and such. I wouldn't even want to try and get that much in PVP.

I might get that task done which finishes week 3 but right now week 4 only has 5 days left. So if it is 2-3 days more to finish that means I only have a couple days to do all of week 4 and it has it's own insane requirements.

The Somme event reminds me a lot of the foolishness of the tasks in the OG PR dockyard. Whomever came up with these was drunk.

I did really well on needed vs duplicate pieces up to the road block in week 3. I was going to possibly finish with the remaining week 3 crates or maybe a couple from week 4 as long as my drop rate was the same. So, after seeing it just wasn't going to get done without grinding like a hamster on a wheel (won't do that anymore) I grabbed a small chest of doubloons for $20 and bought some crates. Got the needed pieces with almost enough Doubloons left over to cover the Battlepass so it was worth it. I am a ship hoarder (I need help) and wasn't going to miss out even though I am not a Jutland fan. I hate that I rewarded them for the insane task requirements designed to get us to spend. But I figure a $78 value ship that gets good flake event rewards, and will earn well when I do play it, was worth about $12 (USD).

If this is the direction they are taking these events then I will have to start skipping ships. I won't always pay to skip their intentional grind walls. Funny how the new dockyard has more reasonable tasks for a T10 DD than those for a T9 DD in the Somme event. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Mainly due to that 1.8 Million Spotting Damage road block that is keeping stage 4 locked out for me.

I finished it yesterday - and like you, I'm a co-op main. Odd that you of all people should be stuck on this.

I dont think wg should make challenges for pvp or pve only, they can give a difference of results as in, you may have to get kills buit for pvp it might be 10 but pve might be 15, but the end result is you both comlete it and move to the next challenge.

This 1.8 million spotting damage might work for pvp, but for pve how many games do they expect you to play for it, this is where an offset can be done within the challenges themselves, well I am sure it could be done

But if I was you I would get a cv and just fly my planes around keeping everything spotted and see how the numbers stack up for you

• Thanks 1

I've missed a few high, but doable, targets over the last year or so. Every target I miss makes it easier to miss the next one. WG does me a favor by such high and time-gated antics. I'm able to think about more and more stuff I missed, and realizing I'm no poorer for not having them and appreciative of the 'other things' that got attention instead of another boats grind.

Things have really eased the last couple of years as I've ceased to care / consider winrate or pr or whatever those metrics are that vex so many. I'm sort-of a potato that knows how to aim and when to shoot.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SolitudeFreak said:

I myself am a PvE main, so am probably an outlier for such things.

Hardly.  Even the mighty Sir Ducken, when he plays, plays PvE.  And he's the most interesting duck in the world.

cf3e53ba6b46a38a0914cd3a1d4b1521--tatoo-cartoons.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beleaf said:

Did someone DM Ahskance on Discord? I believe Co-op mission checks are his responsibility 

Good idea.  I'm not on discord, though.

Already pinged him on Discord.

Apparently he didn't recall this event during his usual review. Also, he'll look further into it.

9 minutes ago, Beleaf said:

Already pinged him on Discord.

Apparently he didn't recall this event during his usual review. Also, he'll look further into it.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I dropped Randoms when submarines were introduced; maybe I wasn't the only one? The other thing that I recall a number of people mentioning was the addition of superships, apropos why they were stepping back from Randoms.

Perhaps WG's alleged Silent Majority aren't as keen on the more controversial recent additions as they would like us to believe?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I dropped Randoms when submarines were introduced; maybe I wasn't the only one? The other thing that I recall a number of people mentioning was the addition of superships, apropos why they were stepping back from Randoms.

Perhaps WG's alleged Silent Majority aren't as keen on the more controversial recent additions as they would like us to believe?

Hey, peel of enough of the “torch & pitchfork” majority one subgroup at a time, and eventually, you get the silent majority you want.

6 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

We haven't seen this for a LONG time where only PVP qualifies for a special mission chain. Is this an "oops" or a sign maybe WG is going to be cutting back on PVE inclusion in stuff (been seeing more and more sub 12 players per side Random battles while Co-op seems to be going strong - are they paranoid - AGAIN - about people going to Co-op?. If either of the later I can see that as another reason they killed the forums so they can avoid the backlash they will get over it.

I mean yeah it is for a random draw for a T7 Premium ship. But we have had tons of similar things and PVE modes are always included. PVE qualified for T9 Somme event so why wouldn't it for a crappy T7? I mean the tasks really aren't even hard for PVP and the task rewards are crap. I don't see why this should not be for PVE as well? I missed that when opting in or wouldn't have bothered.

For now I will go with an "oops" but it bears watching to see if this has more meaning to it.

1.jpg

Nice to see you back !   Honestly, I think we saw a major paradigm shift when our host went ballistic about day two of the Asymmetrical Battles....  There must have been one heck of a lot of PVP players in Asymmetrical Battles for them to NERF them as fast as they did !  I guess, Random Battles simply aren't any fun anymore and people are leaving PVP.

If our host got any cheaper, the charge a fee to change ships.......

And yes, I have no interest being involved in events with no "real value..."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Asym said:

I guess, Random Battles simply aren't any fun anymore and people are leaving PVP.

I (obviously) think you're right; I do find it curious that WG are, as far as I can tell, not terribly concerned with fixing the root problems that might be causing it...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Mainly due to that 1.8 Million Spotting Damage road block that is keeping stage 4 locked out for me. I had the rest of the stuff done in 2 days but here we are over a week later and I am only at 1,213,659 AND I have played a butt load of CV and such...... So if it is 2-3 days more to finish that means I only have a couple days to do all of week 4 and it has it's own insane requirements.

Week 4 actually is pretty easy to complete. I finished week 4 in a couple of days in Coop using Salem and Marceau. So don't lose heart, just keep going.

6 hours ago, Verblonde said:

You weren't the only one, at least as far as I'm concerned. It's pot luck whether you get 0, 1 or 2 subs per team there. Same apparently applies to the second iteration of the Poorly Concealed Maneuvers.

6 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I don't know, we only usually hear about them only through WG and self appointed Silent Majority spokepersons. Unless the chat party on Discord is a not-so-silent element of that majority. Can't be bothered to go there to find out because the rolling chat makes my head spin.

• Like 1