Dolphins and Other Critters

hocus4957

I keep seeing people mentioning that they see dolphins and other stuff, bud sadly, I have not seen anything new in roughly 30 games since the update. Is there a certain graphics setting I need to change? I play on an older PC, so it may not even be possible for me to tweak my settings too much. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Cheers!

They're not as easy to see, compared to the birds and randomly appearing neutral airplanes, I think.

Edited to add:  I wonder if playing a Submarine might help?

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Not a chance. I prefer to chase down kill subs with my mighty Nicholas 🙂

I wonder if it is an exaggerated time of no action. Be interesting to see if ppl might notice if it’s X minutes or something. Or maybe open water vs hanging by islands or have to stay constantly moving at max or 1/2 speed. Who knows, I don’t. 🙂

If one is curious enough could load a reply and look around. And play with the graphic settings to see if makes a difference  🙂

Edited by Andrewbassg
Typo

49 minutes ago, ZaCLoNe said:

I wonder if it is an exaggerated time of no action. Be interesting to see if ppl might notice if it’s X minutes or something. Or maybe open water vs hanging by islands or have to stay constantly moving at max or 1/2 speed. Who knows, I don’t. 🙂

I was detected and under fire about eight minutes into a ranked battle and had dolphins running with me. Ine of the reds announced he had them as the battle began.

OP, look at the “animate small objects” setting.

Hmm, wonder how long till we can get "special ops" dolphins with different explosives strapped to their heads to ram enemy ships with....of course there will be dubloons required, but I'm sure the cost will be reasonable.

37 minutes ago, Dakota_Red said:

Hmm, wonder how long till we can get "special ops" dolphins with different explosives strapped to their heads to ram enemy ships with....of course there will be dubloons required, but I'm sure the cost will be reasonable.

Don't give WG any ideas or this might just be the next game mode...

dolphin001.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hocus4957 said:

Don't give WG any ideas or this might just be the next game mode...

dolphin001.jpg

There is already a Commander that is a Dolphin in the game. 
The Commander is from an old event, so only players from a certain time-frame would've been able to welcome them to their port?

image_2023-08-17_191819618.thumb.png.4392c020c3e48d48f3e4ca315bc6b025.png

image_2023-08-17_191912686.thumb.png.0541f2dc3c7278c989fb8877b6502f6b.png

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

9 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

They're not as easy to see, compared to the birds and randomly appearing neutral airplanes, I think.

They're very easy to see, almost to the point of "okay, I get it already".

I honestly think with subs the added sealife is even worse, IMO there's just way too much of it. Might even have to look into turning it off/down as I think it's a bit too over the top.

38 minutes ago, AtagoBestWaifu said:

They're very easy to see, almost to the point of "okay, I get it already".

I honestly think with subs the added sealife is even worse, IMO there's just way too much of it. Might even have to look into turning it off/down as I think it's a bit too over the top.

Thank you.
Perhaps I need to adjust my graphics settings?   I haven't seen 'em in a while.  Maybe I accidentally turned-off the switch that allows them to be seen.

Saw dolphins on Chaosmachine stream this morning before work but I have seen none yet in my games.

Edited by clammboy

I ran a test on Two Brothers, they were present, along with several school of fish under the ship, but they seemed to have disappeared after a few minutes, probably about the time action would usually get started and the servers would need to devote all their hamsters to RNGesus

image.thumb.jpeg.e39b52ef647ba50253f7789e0f255acc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.927525ffd135b9523b0474fea64dd508.jpeg

WeeGee, where my Combat Dolphins??  I mean, how many years now?

All you have to do is take an airplane squadron, replace the model of a plane with the model of a dolphin with frickin' laser beams .. er .. torpedus, and allow it to fly at negative altitude.  Bungo!  Promise redeemed! 

1 hour ago, CriMiNaL said:

I guess the big question is, if I see them, can I shoot and kill them, will I get xp from it

😱

Okay, so I had my first dolphin sighting today. No wonder I missed it. It was so tiny (That's what she said)...😁

I got some dolphins in Ranked earlier; I was tempted to switch on my hydro (=active sonar) to see if the little finny buggers are programed to react, but then I would have had to explain to my team-mates that I wasn't actually one of those idiots who switches on hydro in spawn...!

• Haha 2

I've seen dolphins a few times, mostly when playing destroyers.

shot-23_08.17_16_47.41-0824.thumb.jpg.94e19937f90b91c7773578ce1cd055b7.jpgshot-23_08.16_21_41.26-0156.thumb.jpg.bea31e99a659ecfe17124c769fa19b39.jpg

Edited by Zaydin
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2023 at 3:12 AM, CriMiNaL said:

I guess the big question is, if I see them, can I shoot and kill them, will I get xp from it

I'm guessing it would be more likely that you'd have a proverbial Albatross of Karma hung around your neck.  🐺

https://writingexplained.org/idiom-dictionary/albatross-around-ones-neck
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43997/the-rime-of-the-ancient-mariner-text-of-1834

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I saw some sharks while submerged with my I-56.

Looks like I cannot upload a replay file.

Oh? Do you get some error message or something? Is it about the file size?