More ships like Atlantico fewer ships like Dreadnought

kriegerfaust

1200px-Atl%C3%A2ntico_wows_main.jpg

Dreadnought was the first battleship of her era to have a uniform main battery, rather than having a few large guns complemented by a heavy secondary armament of smaller guns.   While in the real world all ships evolved from the dreadnought design why does that have to be the case in world of warships why can't we see true armored cruiser evolution, true evolution of all heavy gun battleship like the Atlantico, What about the Pacifica or any other ship base on a non-dreadnought design. 

Vergniaud-ELD.jpg

Yes, we all love the centerline main battery wit A.I controlled secondaries.  while ii would love to control all guns on an all-big gun battleship that won't happen, at least not in the near future.  but how many guns, how high of a rate of fire, how many big guns can we strap on a ship before it looks like a porcupine.  but wait you want an all big gun ship, but not a dreadnought evolution, imagine a ship with fifteen and ten-inch guns.  I would love to imagine a world in which the dreadnought became a model not the only model for future ship design.

Why was it well for a simple reason telling shell fall from turrets 1-4 is hard enough when they are all the same caliber.  It breaks a man when you have two or three main caliber's and as many secondary guns at worse.  Shh closer, closer just a little closer this is a game you know where you are shooting and where they are hitting.  Hell streamlined battleship and hybrid through deck cruisers but one thing at a time.  seeing twelve and sixteen main gun battleships why we can't have multicaliber battleships, what breaks game balance or the game engine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kriegerfaust said:

1200px-Atl%C3%A2ntico_wows_main.jpg

Dreadnought was the first battleship of her era to have a uniform main battery, rather than having a few large guns complemented by a heavy secondary armament of smaller guns.   While in the real world all ships evolved from the dreadnought design why does that have to be the case in world of warships why can't we see true armored cruiser evolution, true evolution of all heavy gun battleship like the Atlantico, What about the Pacifica or any other ship base on a non-dreadnought design. 

Vergniaud-ELD.jpg

Yes, we all love the centerline main battery wit A.I controlled secondaries.  while ii would love to control all guns on an all-big gun battleship that won't happen, at least not in the near future.  but how many guns, how high of a rate of fire, how many big guns can we strap on a ship before it looks like a porcupine.  but wait you want an all big gun ship, but not a dreadnought evolution, imagine a ship with fifteen and ten-inch guns.  I would love to imagine a world in which the dreadnought became a model not the only model for future ship design.

Why was it well for a simple reason telling shell fall from turrets 1-4 is hard enough when they are all the same caliber.  It breaks a man when you have two or three main caliber's and as many secondary guns at worse.  Shh closer, closer just a little closer this is a game you know where you are shooting and where they are hitting.  Hell streamlined battleship and hybrid through deck cruisers but one thing at a time.  seeing twelve and sixteen main gun battleships why we can't have multicaliber battleships, what breaks game balance or the game engine.

May I interest you in Ultimate Admiral, Dreadnoughts?

• Like 4

The crux to the problem is that HE shells work differently in game comparing with in our real, material world, especially on large ships. Even with that brawlers can be countered by refusing to brawl against such ships whenever possible.

I am not sure whether Atlantico will be some sort of one-off, considering she is primarily inspired by perhaps the only design proposal of its sort ever in the Dreadnought age (Armstrong Design 686, Bacellar's Monster) which wasn't pursued for a variety of reasons.

• Like 1

Well, just yesterday my in game Dreadnaught was effectively sunk by a Charleston spamming HE at me....

58 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

The crux to the problem is that HE shells work differently in game comparing with in our real, material world, especially on large ships. Even with that brawlers can be countered by refusing to brawl against such ships whenever possible.

I am not sure whether Atlantico will be some sort of one-off, considering she is primarily inspired by perhaps the only design proposal of its sort ever in the Dreadnought age (Armstrong Design 686, Bacellar's Monster) which wasn't pursued for a variety of reasons.

Edit: i just realise danton its the one from the first post picture. Anyway if atlantico proves something is that armored cruiser and pre dreadnought BBs can have a place in world of warships

we got the french Danton class that gets close enought

1024px-Danton_Brasseys1915.png

Class and typeDanton-class semi-dreadnought battleship

Displacement18,754 t

Speed19.25 knots (35.7 km/h; 22.2 mph)

Armament

2 × twin 305 mm (12 in) guns

6 × twin 240 mm (9.4 in) guns

16 × single 75 mm (3 in) guns

8 × single 47 mm (1.9 in) guns

2 × 450 mm (17.7 in) torpedo tubes

Armor

Belt: 180–250 mm (7.1–9.8 in)

Turrets: 260–340 mm (10.2–13.4 in)

Conning tower: 266 mm (10.5 in)

would be nice to have a whole line of armored cruisers / pre dreadnought designs with big secondary guns in casemates that evolve into big dual purpose.

someone at this point may be tempted to point out that large caliber dual purpose guns were a massive fail like japan San Shiki ammunition for 20.3 cm, 41 cm and 46 cm but for the sake of balance let's say they did manage to solve the problems and make them work with great results.

Edited by pepe_trueno
  • Like 2

Yes, as WG has so much fantasy packed into this game it's literally bursting out of its seams, at this point it wouldn't make the slightest difference if we had more of these anacronistic designs in the game.

17 hours ago, kriegerfaust said:

I would love to imagine a world in which the dreadnought became a model not the only model for future ship design.

It's more than possible. The idea that it was easier to spot shell fall if all the main guns were of the same calibre was a nice one, but it proved not to be the case in practice - when you had fleet actions with ships all with equal calibre weapons, it became almost impossible to tell whose shells were whose; something which left British Battlecruisers mistaking one's shell splashes for another's, leaving enemy ships unengaged (with disastrous consequences). The answer was shells with coloured dyes, to identify which ship had fired them, something which could just as easily have been applied to ships with mixed batteries ten years earlier. 

But for all my enthusiasm... I don't *quite* see a high tier line of BBs like this. Atlantico's main gun calibre is already slightly fantastical... I don't see real world BBS with anything bigger than 14 inch guns, which might be less attractive at Tier X than it looks at first. It's better suited for a line of super heavy cruisers with 12 inch guns... the classical pre-dreadnought low-tier BB designs turned into well armoured, compact cruisers with souped up speeds and heavy guns... that would be an attractive option. 

Edited by invicta2012